1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

PCOS and TMS (or insulin resistance and TMS)

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by BatmanWithAllergies, Jul 30, 2018.

1. BatmanWithAllergies

BatmanWithAllergies New Member

Hi Ladies!

I haven't posted before, so here is a little about me.
    I was first told about Dr. Sarno because I had allergic reactions to all the things that grow (grasses, trees, fruits, vegetables, etc.) I was able to overcome these allergies by reading the books (healing back pain, and the divided mind) and journaling. I almost never have allergic reactions anymore. I also was able to mostly get rid of my headaches. So I am a believer!

My question revolves around my irregular periods. I think I have PCOS which can be caused by insulin resistance, which as I understand it, is caused by inflammation due to consuming sugars. It seems like if I could get rid of the inflammatory reactions to my other allergies, I should be able to get rid of my insulin resistance inflammation.

The problem is, I can't feel any of the internal inflammation, so I don't know if it is getting better. I don't know how to address it when I can't feel it happening. It does serve to distract me by causing weight gain and irregular periods, but they are after the fact.

Do you think insulin resistance/PCOS could be TMS?

Has anyone successfully regulated their periods using the TMS treatments?

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi there BWA, and welcome!

You might want to read a more radical approach to self-healing, called When The Body Says No, by Dr. Gabor Mate, MD. Personally, it's my third most influential book after The Divided Mind and Hope & Help For Your Nerves.

I also highly recommend that you train yourself in effective visualization. To me, this goes along with what I learned from Dr. Mate about our physiology. If you can visualize the healthy and positive interactions within your (what, is it the endocrine system responsible for insulin?) then I firmly believe that you can keep it healthy and positive. I do this all the time - I don't even need to have much technical knowledge - I just convince my brain that everything is working, or can work, to keep me healthy. Mind you, it's not always easy to do this if I'm having a rough patch, emotionally - but eventually I get back to it.

This goes quite a ways beyond what Dr. Sarno postulated!

Asherman27 likes this.
  3. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

Dear, I am not sure I understand the medical diagnosis you seem to have received. It does sound to me like someone from alternative medicine has made a quite speculative connection between irregular periods, a inflammatory condition, sugar and insulin. Of course, if you have diabetes, sugar is a problem. And too much sugar contributes to a lot of diseases. But how this influences menstruation? Periods can be irregular for various reasons. Maybe your gynecologist could do a horm9n check? I don’t know your age, menopause starts early for some women.
    The point of Sarno and also of those recommended by Plum is that there main reason for being ill is not physical (including diet), but psychological.
    You fought allergies succesful! Congrats! You can do it again!

4. BatmanWithAllergies

PCOS and insulin resistance have a correlation, if not causation relationship. PCOS is partially characterized by irregular periods. That is the connection between the two (if nothing else). It is theorized that inflammation from insulin resistance causes less progesterone to be produced and more androgens.

I just got results back saying I have PCOS and pre-diabetes. And possibly scleroderma.

Has anyone been able to reduce these with using Dr. Sarno's treatment plan?

5. BatmanWithAllergies

6. Time2be

Time2be Well known member

I see, thanks BatmanwithAllergies (what a funny name!). I don’t know anything about PCOS. So, I can’t help with that. However, I assume that the TMS approach helps to deal with a lot of diseases because one is more aware of the emotional and psychological part of it (like stress and anxiety).

7. subtlecollision2

subtlecollision2 Peer Supporter

Have you found any benefit from doing TMS work for your hormones? I have low estrogen and progesterone that make me feel really ugly and I have been doing Sarno's treatment for a while with no luck :(