1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

placebo surgery?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Dec 13, 2019.

Tags:
  1. mbo

mbo Well known member

hi,
    it seems to me that Dr. Sarno's theory is so difficult to be accepted because many surgeries (low back, knee, hip, ...) work, because its radical nature, at least for some months.
    Later on pain probably returns in another location (the opposite knee, shoulder,...) and once more the structural explanation is offered for a new surgery. And so on: from surgery to surgery, but never focusing in the internal emotional turmoil and rejecting any suggestion in that sense.

What do you think about that ?
    thanks.

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mbo,

Yes, I think you're right-on! We're lucky to have this knowledge.

Andy

3. mbo

mbo Well known member

my doubt: talk about «weird» Sarno's concepts to someone who is ABSOLUTELY convinced about the effectivity of surgery to fix his/her pain.
    Without achieving his/her fully acceptance of TMS paradigm perhaps I am sabotaging his/her solid belief in surgery. In that case surgery (placebo) is prone to fail.
    Difficult decision, anyway.

4. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi mbo,

Are you saying that you're drawn toward a particular surgery? And that you're surprised or disappointed in yourself about this?

I don't know that we're ever, down deep 100% sure of the truth of TMS. That's OK, because we don't need to beat ourselves up about doubts. They're natural.

So is wanting relief, in whatever form it might appear in.

If you also have doubt that the surgery will work, yes, I can imagine this might undercut the effectiveness of the placebo in the surgery! Whatever you doubt gives you less sure results, we can be sure!

I think you might start by really forgiving yourself for this desire for surgery, if that is what is happening. And this may lead to more clarity in your decision making.

Good luck in this.

5. mbo

mbo Well known member

6. mbo

mbo Well known member

hi, Andy !
    in fact is my son who has undergone surgery in his right arm for a supposed «pinched» radial nerve issue. No results!
    Before that my son have given credit to the Sarno's paradigm as solution for his chronic arm pain....but «may be, weird, perhaps, let's see». No results.
    After the «may be, perhaps,...» failed surgery my son came back to the Sarno's paradigm...but once more «well, weird, may be, perhaps,...». No results, again.
    Always the same doubt, suspicion, distrust,..... in order to avoid or prevent traumatic frustation, I presume.
    Strange behaviour ... or not.