1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Questions for today's webinar with Alan about the new free program

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Forest, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone!

There's going to be a webinar today for alumni of the 21-day Pain Recovery Program by Alan Gordon that we launched about two months ago.

I solicited questions from people earlier and quite a few terrific questions have poured in. I'm posting them in this thread so people can vote for the ones that they like the most. To vote, just make an account on the forum (it only takes 30 seconds) and then click the "Like" link that appears below each of the questions.

I'm really looking forward to this event because with this program, it is up to us to make sure that we apply the program in our own lives. Many of the insights in the program are quite deep and they reward multiple rereadings of the entire program. For people who are willing to do this, I want to make sure that they have the best resources possible.

So please vote for the questions that are most relevant to you!

2. Forest

I've been publicizing this webinar through the 500-person list of email addresses from people who had signed up for daily notifications when the program was running. That's because this webinar is really for people who have done the entire program and have already worked on applying it (other people are welcome to listen, of course).

If you're not on that mailing list, please join! :) The signup link is in the notice above.

Here's some of the information you missed:
    With this new program program, I think it is important for us to support one another in how we apply the program in our own lives as we attempt to take ourselves to the next level. To adapt a phrase from AA, another peer network, "It works if you work it. But you've got to work it."

Toward that end, we will be holding a webinar today with both Alan and Christie. (Christie is the TMS therapist whose TMS story appeared twice in the program and who sometimes posted in the threads.)

I think of the second event like a "capstone" for the program - an opportunity to tie everything together after we've had a chance to let it settle in a bit. I think it's going to be great since we all have the common experience of the 21 day program to build off. Like the rest of the program, it will be free.

It will be today, from 3:00-4:15 PM ET (NYC time). To connect from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android, just click the following link:
    https://zoom.us/j/6743796668 (Join our Cloud HD Video Meeting now)

And yes, if you can't make it, a recording will be posted. :)

Nzombro likes this.
  3. Forest

Question 1:

I’m working on outcome independence. Wondering if Alan and/or Christie could offer further insights on how to sustain this stance. So easy to get side-tracked into fear.

Pickle, honey badger, itmsw and 10 others like this.
  4. Forest

Question 2:

I have been using systemic desensitization from day 16. I have many areas with long term chronic pain. I have been using this procedure on each location every day or would it be just as effective to choose just one spot each day?

stephf, nele, Bawbee and 1 other person like this.
  5. Forest

Question 3:

My question is this: two things I've heard or read: according to the theories of TMS:
    1. The more a neural pathway is activated, the more ingrained they become.
    2. To overcome a fear, one must engage in the activity one fears to see that it is not dangerous.

So what if every time one engages in the activity, ones fears are realized? Then it becomes more and more ingrained and the whole situation gets worse!

Examples:
    1. When I walk too far, my back and legs hurt. If I do it anyway, trying to have a new attitude about the pain, it hurts more. The more I do that, the more ingrained it becomes, right?
    2. Traveling to new places creates anxiety. I want to overcome that so if I travel anyway, and I become more anxious from doing so, it becomes more ingrained!

So I get stuck with the choices of avoiding the activities, which limits my life, or engaging them and making the neural pathways stronger!

What to do?

stephf, Pickle, Shine4me and 21 others like this.
  6. Forest

Question 4:
    The program has helped me bring a lot of pieces together. Probably the most important is a clear taste of seeing the various pain and discomfort as a guide rather than a problem.

Here is my question if there is time for it…

I have been particularly interested in day 20 about joy. I see I pressure and set up myself with expectations and preconceived ideas.
    This is frequently my undoing because it is so clever. It is usually in the name of a good inner cause that I sacrifice my greater good and joy.

I have experience of seeing through the layers of good intentions that keep me trapped in this reaction but I still spend a lot of time having to sort it out till something wakes up and goes ahha – you could come back to yourself now.

Do you have advice how to recognize, in the moment, and stand up to a train of thought that is so well meeting and so very wrong at the same time?

itmsw, Madison, nele and 1 other person like this.
  7. Forest

Question 5:
    It is very hard to distinguish between somatic tracking and obsessing when you are in pain - are there any tips to achieve this?

Pickle, Penny2007, itmsw and 8 others like this.
  8. Forest

Question 6:
    Doubt seems to always set in when dealing with pain and especially numbness of neuropathy. My pain is generally better when I'm off my feet and worse when I'm on them - is this conditioned response or a structural issue (i.e. pressure on the foot)? Also numbness never goes away - how do I reconcile that as TMS?

Shine4me, itmsw, Kitty and 6 others like this.
  9. Forest

Question 7:
    How do you deal with the pressure from family and friends who want "to do things" (vacations, hiking, parties, etc.) when you are in pain? I find that the pressure makes the symptoms worse because it stirs up anger, guilt, and other emotions. Any thoughts on dealing with others?

honey badger, lesley, itmsw and 9 others like this.
  10. Forest

Question 8:
    I'm a 70 year old woman and have been working hard in the program for about 8 months. At that time I was in so much leg and back pain I could barely walk. Yesterday I walked very slowly for a mile and a half. I think it took me about 50 minutes.

I used to be able to do 3 miles fast with big strides, swinging my arms etc. My question is: how much should I expect from myself? Is it enough to walk slow with small steps or should I keep pushing for more and bigger strides and faster?

Thanks so very much to you and Alan for this amazing program. I read the 21 days and all of the responses over and over again. It is so helpful! Dr. Sarno is beaming down at you both for continuing his miraculous work! I am so grateful to have found you and to be a part of it. I won't go into the horrible details, but I was dying slowly from so many TMS symptoms and full of fear from my doctors, and now I live and I'm well!

stephf, Shine4me, lesley and 7 others like this.
  11. Forest

Question 9:
    I would like to know what interferes or complicates somatic tracking? It seems harder to do than expected. How important is it?

12. Forest

(I've added 4 new questions to vote on...)
    Question 10:

I do wonder how to practice de-identifying from signals without denying, and acknowledging without over identifying. TMS theory has been profound but on the twenty year path I ignored some valid symptoms (I just had stage four endometriosis surgery and didn't realize the pain level until after the large lesion was gone).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  13. Forest

Question 11:
    One dr involved with that said some patients have pain responses similar to those who had childhood car accidents, somehow influenced by trauma. Is there a way to shift that mechanism of hypersensitivity?

Pickle, honey badger, lesley and 3 others like this.
  14. Forest

Question 12:
    I am on vacation in south of Turkey, the weather is around 36-40grad celsius. The thing is i dont have any back pain, headaches, or any other pain.
    Isnt this a sign/a proof that cold weather makes pain worse??

Shine4me likes this.
  15. Forest

Question 13:
    I was doing better and some pressure appeared. How do I get back on track quickly?

itmsw and rekcat like this.
  16. Lauren T

Lauren T Peer Supporter

Really great question!!!

itmsw and Bawbee like this.
  17. Katia

Katia New Member

Great question! I have the same question regarding sitting. The burning pressure on the sit bones while sitting hurts so much that sometimes all I can do is cry. At other times it's so painful I nearly vomit. It goes away when I stand. How do I approach that??

itmsw, Lauren T and Nzombro like this.
  18. gutter3

gutter3 Peer Supporter

I am trying the somatic tracking, however I notice I seem to focus on the pain a lot. Which makes it get progressively worse through out the day. I am finding it hard to use somatic tracking to check in with my body/pain. I am also obsessing over the pain and telling myself not focus on the pain which makes me then focus on the pain. I have been able to lessen the pain, thanks to this program. But I always end up back where I started, focusing and obsessing over the pain.

So how do you distract yourself from the pain? I need some helpful tips on how to not focus on the pain.

Shine4me, lesley, itmsw and 2 others like this.
  19. Lauren T

Lauren T Peer Supporter

I too have developed some kind of neuropathy - not diagnosed but thinking it is emotional as I just broke up with long term boyfriend and symptoms started just about the time I was determined to go to the next stage or not.

itmsw and Nzombro like this.
  20. Emre

Emre Peer Supporter

I am on vacation in south of Turkey, the weather is around 36-40grad celsius. The thing is i dont have any back pain, headaches, or any other pain.
    Isnt this a sign/a proof that cold weather makes pain worse??

hsbarry likes this.