1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Schubiner's Online Program.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by braden101, Feb 27, 2014.

1. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

Has anybody done Howard Schubiner's online program?

At the moment I am taking in information from all over the place and piecing it together. Feeling a little overwhelmed and i don't feel like I have any real direction at the moment.

After reading a few of his blogs at www.unlearnyourpain.com, I am impressed, he really concentrates on pretty much all my major symptoms and explains everything in a way that just seems to click with me. I find myself nodding all the way through his blogs.

I just feel I would really benefit from his program but wanted to get some advice from anyone that has a little more experience with Dr Schubiner's methods.

I know it is $100 for the program versus $25 for the book, so just wanted to try find a little more info.

2. Richsimm22

Richsimm22 Well known member

I was thinking of getting the book at some point. Im doing the SEP at the minute. But id like to know about the unlearnyourpain book and how it differs from the online program. Id rather pay the $25 for the book to be honest.

braden101 likes this.
  3. braden101

braden101 Peer Supporter

On the other hand paying $100 for a 4 week program could just make me feel even more stressed, like I'm obligated to do it. At least a book can be put down and picked up whenever, without feeling guilty.

4. Richsimm22

Yeah your probably right I suppose the
    Book will be worth buying even if you did the online program. I imagine most people who get to this point of doing tms therapy have already spent vast amounts on conventional therapies and dont really want to fork out even more. I would buy the book and spend the $25 then you can always do the online program at a later date if you feel it would be of any greater benefit.

Is there an audio book for this at all?

5. Richsimm22

Just to add braden I have read that even though its a 4 week program your still encouraged to do it at your own pace. For instance it might take you five or six weeks to complete it. Worrying about not getting time to do certain things like you say will stress you out even more. Ive been doing the SEP and im on day 12 but I should be on day 15 I think but its best not to worry. I have a 2 year old so sometimes sitting down to journal I have to wait till end of the day and fit it in where I can. I listen to audio books when I cycle to work and read stuff on my breaks at work.

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, guys. Maybe buy the book and read it and if you need more input, consider the program.
    I haven't done either.

7. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

The sense that I get with the Schubiner program is that both the book and the online program derive from the structured program he developed at the Mind-Body Medicine Center of St John Providence Health System:
    http://www.stjohnprovidence.org/MindBodyMedicine/
    At the first TMS Conference (which Dr. Sarno called in to), he showed us a big binder that was just full of papers that they used in the program. I think that he basically took that and turned it into the online program. Later, I think he decided to turn the same thing into a book with the help of a local Detroit journalist and freelance writer acting, essentially as a ghost writer.

Given the above, I suspect that very similar content is in the online program and the book. The online program does come with an online forum, though, where you can get feedback directly from him. It also includes videos and, I think, audio for meditations, but the book contains a meditation CD that people have told me they still listen to long after finishing the book. (@BruceMC).

I guess this all leans toward the book. In terms of feeling guilty about buying the program, this is chronic pain we're talking about. You may be living in pain and don't deserve it at all! I hope you won't feel the slightest bit guilty about doing whatever it takes to help yourself.

I should say that it's been a while since I've looked into his programs, so my memory is a little fuzzy and you may want to reconfirm what I've written. Whatever you find, I hope you'll come back and update this thread, because it will stick around for a while in our TMS search engine. Let us know what helped and what didn't.

BruceMC and Eric "Herbie" Watson like this.