1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self Isolating?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by plum, Mar 17, 2020.

1. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

For those who are social-distancing and self-isolating, I’ve noticed a wonderful trend encouraging creative endeavours. I thought it would be a lovely idea to devote a thread to both online resources and the various ways we are finding to enrich ourselves during this downtime.

I’ll start by saying that yesterday I washed down my balcony in my first Spring cleaning gesture of the year. It’s a fairly horrible task because of the pigeons that are the bane of the life of anyone who lives in a block of flats :rage:

After the somewhat ignoble washing of scat from the very tolerant Buddha statue, I began to enjoy the day. The sky was bright blue, it was warm and the world very quiet. Then my lower back started to bleat and I half thought about shutting up shop but of course I knew this was TMS having a pop so I carried on and let my mind drift through the many and varied thoughts that this pandemic generates.

After a while this stream of thought passed and my mind started to play The Beach Boys song ‘God Only Knows’ which is beautiful.

When I went to bed I honestly thought I’d wake up walking like a hobbit but not at all! I think flagging all my fears while doing something productive served to flush the TMS out.

I’m now relishing the creative phase of deciding what to do with my small haven. I’m going to buy a window box and fill it with wild flowers, get some new solar lights and best of all, set up the telescope my dad bought me for Christmas. I’m sure stargazing will do much to keep matters in perspective.

What about everyone else? Any inspirations?

plum ❤️

2. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I am going to walk to the local cemetery which acts as a park to get some white dead nettles to draw, and possibly some dandelion leaves and wild sorrel to eat!

I also live in a flat, on the 3rd (top) floor, but the managing agents have forbidden window boxes, which used to be a great pleasure..

Lainey, HattieNC, Sita and 1 other person like this.
  3. Sita

Sita Well known member

I'm very much into knitting, currently I'm working on 2 projects. A sweater, 2 colors (light blue and dark blue), very complicated pattern, light weight, acrylic, for spring/ sommer. The second project is a cardigan, longer, brown, in wool, rustic, with cables and many buttons and 2 pockets, good for fall and winter.

I started to clean/organize around the house. Bought some new plants for the balcony, I'm in a town house. I have some new good books on my kindle and I'm ready for them. Also, I'm into acrylic painting and pencil drawing. I need to clean/organize a little my tools. I love to cook and I'm going to try some new recipes. Want to make some almond flour bread in microwave. It takes only 1 min baking and it's done. I'll try it, I'm very curious to see the results.

I started to write letters on paper. To all my friends all over the world. And postcards. It's very therapeutic. I have some special paper for it, colorful.

plum, JanAtheCPA, Lainey and 4 others like this.
  4. had

had Peer Supporter

I've actually been trying to nurture my creative side for a while now, before this pandemic. I am not innately talented and am terribly disappointed with everything I make. Photography was the thing last year but its just too costly both film and digital and my stuff is so old and not working well now. I have two half (ok more like 10%) finished paintings mocking me right now. Staring at me from across the room...taunting me. One has been painted over no less than five times now and started anew because I am too poor and too lazy to buy more canvases. Probably more paint than canvas at this point. I am not really sure how this creative business is supposed to be calming or helpful because it mostly makes me want to cry or scream or do violence upon wood and cotton. Maybe one hundred years after I am dead the multi-layered, broken, and holed canvas will be considered a masterpiece and people will talk about how amazing and before my time I was. Kids will look me up on the Wikipedia Holo and romantic films will be made about my life that are nothing like my actual life. Someone will make millions. Or more realistically someone will peel a piece of fabric off of an old tire in a landfill and if you look close you might just make out a brush mark...

HattieNC, andy64tms and Sita like this.
  5. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Not posted for ages, I am on Facebook these days away from TMS.

We would all do well to read Dylan Thomas right now: "Do Not Go Gentle into That Good Night", and give thanks for what we have and have had. I have taken stock and assessed how lucky I am in many ways better off than most during this crisis.

Dylan's poem means those who actually live out their lives will better see how life has been bright for them, before going towards the sleep of death. It emphasizes that older men should fight fiercely and strongly against death.

But I Ponder: Was Dylan a macho man what about "older woman" don't they count? He was a soulful man, I don't think so.
    Dylan is self-described as a roistering, drunken and doomed poet. So I think his attention to “the self ego” made him omit woman, or did he assume the interpretation would be “mankind".

I'll post again about what I am doing for the crisis...

6. mugwump

mugwump Well known member

It is good to know that something not good like the coronavirus will bring out something great. Enjoy stargazing and share more of your inspiring stories.

Lily Rose, plum and andy64tms like this.
  7. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

My isolating time has not started yet, but my work is starting to reduce. I'm already doing more yoga and thinking about the attention my garden will get, and that I can get on with the crochet blanket I started for myself. I'm also remembering that someone told me I can switch my Netflix to German and watch films in German. If I can work through the anxiety about reduced income during this time, I think I might really enjoy the break!

plum, JanAtheCPA, TG957 and 1 other person like this.
  8. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Yes, I've had symptoms flaring as well.

9. HattieNC

HattieNC Well known member

I'm in a southern state in the US. We've been mandated to work from home. So, I see a lot of home improvement projects that I've been putting off finally getting accomplished. Dividing and replanting the Hosta garden, painting the deck, and cleaning closets. My adult children and grandchildren live a mile away.... if we are all healthy, we will get together once a week for a potluck dinner and board games. I see this as a time to step away from our busy lives and enjoy the simple fellowship of loved ones (in small groups, of course). I also follow a few amazing channels on YouTube that bring me peace and joy. If anyone is interested in knowing the names of the channels, please private message me.

Sita, plum, JanAtheCPA and 1 other person like this.
  10. TG957

TG957 Beloved Grand Eagle

I am working from home since last week, but my work is focused on helping set up hundreds of people to work from home. It is a very stressful experience, everybody is rushing to buy equipment, get trained and leave the office as we are in the lockdown area. I have been working long hours, but incredible amount of stress makes it much harder. I was hoping to take care of my container garden, take care of the house and do more yoga. Instead, I am anxious and losing sleep. I don't have pain symptoms other than a suspicious headache that would not go away. I assume it is TMS. My problem is that I can't even concentrate on watching a movie or listening to a music, because I get too anxious. My only relief during the day is 15-minute walks around the block. I am looking forward to Saturday when I could go on a long hike.....

My heart goes out to everybody effected, especially the Italians, they are in the eye of the hurricaine.

All of you, stay safe and healthy!

Aimee88, plum, JanAtheCPA and 2 others like this.
  11. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

my anxiety is also causing me to wake every day at 2.30, and everything that i hear about coronavirus emphasises how important it is to get enough sleep so that the immune system can cope...

TG957 likes this.
  12. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Dorado and nowa like this.
  13. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

nowa, have a look at the Calm link I’ve provided above. Under the Sleep Meditations bit there is a ‘Gently Back to Sleep’ one which is lovely and even if you don’t sleep, it is restful. Do explore the resources though.

Dorado and nowa like this.
  14. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

thanks Plum,I will. there are suddenly hundreds of resources available! People are so kind!!

plum and Dorado like this.
  15. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Some humour then:

BD198607-6712-48C2-858B-8824411A0460.jpeg

And for those favouring the latter option:

28BF85B9-0DC1-40CE-B9EA-A5ADF1EEAE63.jpeg

Stay safe peeps
    Don’t let Cabin Fever lead to any wild Lizzie Borden moments.

Amber, Lily Rose, Aimee88 and 2 others like this.