1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Self-Sabotage, yet again??? Discouraged.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MWsunin12, Jan 28, 2016.

1. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi everyone,

Last month I posted a success story about my pelvic nerve pain. I was so pleased to be of the mindset that it was psychological. And, after 4 months of pain and worry, the journaling helped it to diminish.

I have done quite a bit of journaling.

Now, I have shooting nerve pain from the back of my shoulder, down to my elbow, my wrist and the feeling of sparks on my fingertips. Right side.
    Also, I've had a bunion for 30 years on my left foot and just this week, that foot feels tingling and some shooting pain and the middle toe is numb at the top.

I'm on a stressor deadline on two projects and find it discouraging that when I need to focus and use the computer the most, my arm is making me feel like I have carpal tunnel up to my shoulder. And, my foot feels like I need to shake it all the time.

I know Dr. Sarno wrote that he believes carpal tunnel is TMS, so that's encouraging.

Here's where I could use some support, please. I feel like almost EVERY TIME I get going on something that takes focus, I sabotage the ability with physical distractions. I've done this so many times. When does the mindset change? Discouraged.

Thanks for reading. I appreciate this forum.

2. David88

David88 Well known member

This is not unusual with TMS. It means that there is a new feeling, or an old feeling in a new form, that needs your attention. Your unconscious is up to its old distraction tricks.

Recovery from TMS is not a one-off thing, like getting over a cold. We will always have stresses, and we always will have an unconscious that likes to distract with pain. The trick is to get quicker at recognizing it, and better at listening to our inner feelings. It takes practice but it gets easier with time.

If you seem to be sabotaging yourself, don't beat yourself up over it. Look at it instead as an important clue. It might lead you to a deeper understanding of yourself.

3. Misha

Misha Peer Supporter

I've been thinking of you and wondering how you were doing and am so sorry to hear you are experiencing these issues :( It is quite common to experience 'symptoms imperative' isn't it though? For the pain to move around? It just means your not quite finished but very nearly there, I'm sure. Has your pelvic pain stayed away? Just remember that lots of people in their success stories often tell how in the early days of recovery, the pain would come and go a lot but in the long term they were totally fine as I'm sure you will be too.

breakfree and MWsunin12 like this.
  4. westb

westb Well known member

Yes, I've been thinking about you too, and am really sorry things are difficult. It can be infuriating/frightening/depressing when new symptoms flare up but, from what I understand, it's the nature of the TMS beast and it shows things are shifting. I like what David88 says - recovery is definitely not linear and requires oh so much patience (not my forte!). I have no doubt though that you will get there.

5. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, NWsunin. I know what it's like to have work stress. I work for a book publisher who is a real perfectionist and really puts pressure on me. Even a comma where he wants a semi-colon makes him chew me out. I've gotten him to mellow a little, but he has a long way to go. All we can do is our best and not worry about the rest, being perfect.

You need to be more patient in how long it takes to heal from TMS emotions. You will heal if you just keep at it and believe totally in TMS.

6. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

You have to understand that you have two yous, one conscious and the other un-conscious. The un-you is doing the "sabotaging" according to Dr. Sarno, in an attempt to PROTECT conscious -you from the pain of emotional feelings, by distracting C-you with physical symptoms. Once C-you fully accept TMS theory you can tell the other you, "Thank you very much, but I'm a big girl now and can handle the emotional situations head-on, by "thinking psychological."

With practice in shifting your thinking to your emotional issues, when you feel the physical, the symptoms will fade. Your confidence in TMS will grow with each round you win. But, you must believe the symptom is TMS or you'll always have a lingering doubt and keep looking for medical or voo-doo placebo cures.

It's a game YOU play with your other you until YOU win. Keep reading the books until the TMS KNOWLEDGE PENICILLIN sinks into your un-conscious.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    breakfree, Susan1111 and MWsunin12 like this.
  7. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you, to each who replied. Today was worse in the arm pain area. I know I'm not in that 100% belief zone. Radical acceptance is what I had to do the last go around with pelvic pain. It worked. So, I must trust. I'm admitting that I'm not going to see a doctor for this. I can appreciate that we are supposed to rule other things out, but I feel so impressionable. I don't want to hear about nerve blocks or cortisone or discs.

I watched my older sister do a long, drawn out, doctor diagnosed death. She had anxiety and probably non-stop TMS. Once she was bored with one ailment, she'd have a new, more severe one. She got a lot of attention and care for being the "sick" kid. I think the doctors, unintentionally, made her believe she was always ill. She was diagnosed with everything from Fibro to Asthma to Ruptured Discs to beginning MS….you name it. She trusted them, unquestioningly, as professional. And, took anything they prescribed for her. Finally, at age 47, a medullary carcinoma took hold and ended her life. I think one of my big fears is that I'm that way, too. Always letting physical symptoms stop me down. This is why I won't go for a diagnosis on this. I guess it's fear, but I know that I'm impressionable to their "professional opinions."

Apologies for the sad story, but my heart breaks reading some of the posts. So many of us in pain. But, this forum and Sarno's work are a candle in the darkness. I hope I can encourage others as much as the encouragement I receive. Thank you, again, Sara, Walt, Tom, and westB.

Marcia

breakfree, westb and Tennis Tom like this.
  8. westb

westb Well known member

Marcia, I understand where you are coming from re seeing a doctor. I can soak up nocebos like a sponge from medical professionals. I'm pretty sure your inner guidance will guide you to do what is right for you and your recovery at the right time.

What a sad story about your sister. You have weapons in your armoury which she probably didn't have: Great self awareness and knowledge of TMS. It's not preordained that you will follow the same path. Oh, and you do indeed encourage others - you helped me a great deal with your post on pelvic pain.

breakfree likes this.
  9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Your Bio said your in L.A., get an accurate DX from a TMS physician, there's also a slew of TMS therapists listed at this site's PRACTITIONERS LIST if you need one:

David Schechter, MD (Physician)
    David Schechter is a Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Family Medicine of the University of Southern California in Los Angeles. Dr. Schechter has over twenty five years of experience with the Tension Myositis Syndrome (TMS) diagnosis, has treated over a thousand patients has published original research on the subject and is the author of The Mindbody Workbook. While a medical student at NYU, he was a successful patient of Dr. Sarno. Dr. Schechter was a speaker at the 2nd Annual TMS Conference in March 2010. His presentation was entitled "Clinical Evaluation of Patients with Mind-Body Disorders." (Source)

Available via Internet Video
    8500 Wilshire Blvd, Suite 705
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    (310) 657-1022
    310-six nine four-9814 fax
    and
    10811 Washington Blvd, Suite 250
    Culver City, CA 90232
    310-836-2225 (310-836-BACK)
    310-six nine four-9814 fax
    frontofficedrs@gmail.com
    TMS Wiki Profile / Survey Response / Q&A Answers / Workbook and CDs / Website
    Main Wiki Page About David Schechter / Board member of the Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDA) / Curriculum Vitae
    Insurance Accepted: PPO provider for Blue Cross, Shield, United, Aetna, Cigna, Medicare. No HMO's.

[​IMG]
    Clive SegilClive M Segil, MD
    (Physician)
    Clive Segil is an internationally renowned orthopedic surgeon from Los Angeles with 30 years of experience in the management of musculoskeletal disorders – a healer not just a physician/surgeon, with creative approaches to patient problems. Dr. Segil sees the patient as a “whole person” not only a “disease,” and he places great emphasis on the mind-body connection, applying the concept of what is best for the patient. This means that he uses treatments that result in a cure, at best, and at very least, a marked improvement in their well-being. (Source)

2080 Century Park East, Suite 500
    Los Angeles, CA 90067
    (310) 203-5490
    (310) 203-5412 fax
    drsegil@drsegil.com
    Website
    CURRICULUM VITAE
    Survey Response
    Insurance Accepted: All

10. BeWell

BeWell Well known member

[Deleted at BeWell's request]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2016
  11. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

and you will probably find that when the deadlines have passed and you have done the work - the pain will subside. Then when the next deadline looms - the pain will loom too...
    just keep on doing your TMS healing and all will be well...