1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Sensorimotor ocd hyperawareness ocd

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Anisha_d87, May 12, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Anisha_d87

Anisha_d87 Peer Supporter

Anyone here know the link or association between tms and hyperawareness ocd? Anyone used methods to help with this?

2. Balsa11

Balsa11 Well known member

It's a TMS equivalent.

3. Anisha_d87

Anisha_d87 Peer Supporter

I know there is some association but because its hyperawarness of my thinking/consciousness a subset of ocd im Unsure how to approach. I have intrusive thoughts and typical ocd symptoms also. Any advice? Im undergoing erp and cbt atm

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Thoughts (like symptoms) are transient. A million of them pass through our head every day but that doesn't mean we have to believe them or identify with them. If you can observe your thoughts in a detached way and view them as you would clouds in the sky, they lose their power and meaning. Everything you describe is part and parcel of anxiety. We are not our thoughts and we can let them pass by, without giving them so much weight and without getting stuck in them. If rumination and perseveration are an issue, there are various ways of getting out your head...mindfulness, meditation, yoga, walks in nature, anti anxiety meds, helping someone in need, getting involved in a hobby or passion, connecting with others etc. When we try to "ward off" intrusive thoughts, for ex., it has the paradoxical effect of putting more focusing on them, and the creating more of the same. It is the same thing with TMS. Whenever we are in a state of resistance, versus, "allowing", we reinforce the very thing we don't want. It really comes down to getting out of your own way and out of the thinking, over analyzing, searching, hyper vigilant mode. The Buddhists would probably call it the monkey mind, or the "egoic" mind....wanting to "fix" or "solve" a problem, seeking "proof", endlessly debating, trying to make sense of something, or trying to find "certainty". These are usually illusions. A fable belief is simply a thought that you have thought so many times over, it becomes a belief. A huge part of TMS recovery is dismantling the false beliefs that form our own mental prisons. It's all incredibly exhausting! My favorite mantra at one point, became "F it". It felt good to just let go, accept, and surrender. It's something you will have to practice because it's counter intuitive but it's the only way out. You can't think your way out of intellectualizing and rumination lol

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    hsiehj0000 and Balsa11 like this.
  5. hsiehj0000

hsiehj0000 Newcomer

Wonderful post; thanks!