1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep and TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by eskimoeskimo, Apr 28, 2015.

1. eskimoeskimo

eskimoeskimo Well known member

Hi All,

Just looking for peoples' thoughts on sleep! My personal experience is that, although I can usually sleep through the night, I wake up exhausted and anxious. I think my TMS-type thoughts are making sleep a grind. It's been a decade since I've woken up feeling rested. Grinding teeth, anxiety dreams, etc. Most of the info I can find online regarding sleep problems has to do with insomnia or troubles falling asleep, which isn't what I've experienced. I can't find much info regarding anxious, non-restful sleep.

Anyone else have experience with their TMS affecting sleep? Anyone have experience with sleep symptoms changing as the result of TMS work, maybe even during TMS work focused on another symptom like pain?

Tips and tricks?

Thanks folks

2. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Eskimo. I found that I sleep better because of knowing my anxieties or pain are from TMS.
    I've learned how important deep breathing is, and to tell myself that I will put off to tomorrow
    the thoughts that are keeping me awake.

I also like many of the free Youtube videos on sleep self-hypnosis and relaxation.
    Watching, listening to them half an hour before going to bed helps put me to sleep.

If I can't sleep or wake up after sleeping awhile, I don't let it bother me. Even resting in bed
    without sleep can be okay.

3. eskimoeskimo

Thanks Walt. I have mixed feelings about the deep breathing and self hypnosis videos because trying to relax gets me so anxious. If you have a particular video that like best though, I'll check it out.

4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Went through an awful period in 2013 and morphine patches were only thing that allowed me to get to sleep. That effect lasted for 2 days then back to sleepless nights. I didn't even bother trying to get to sleep at times as I ended up with terrifying heart palpitations and even experienced several recurring nightmares. Now what I know about the Unconscious/dreams it has disappeared.
    One thing I did that helped was sleep on an imitation bed of nails. Google "shakti mat", help relieve muscle tension and whilst not ideal when trying to take the focus of the physical it helps many people deal with insomnia.

5. mdh157

mdh157 Well known member

I have sleep issues within the past year or so.......can usually sleep for 3-4 hours then i toss and turn the rest of the night - prior to that my sleep was decent for the most part. I even got a bite guard made as I clench. I'll wake up and lie there, then maybe feel a twitch or something then my mind gets carried away and it's darn near impossible to fall alseep.

6. eskimoeskimo

mdh,

I can sympathize. I don't usually wake up from my anxious dreams, but sometimes I wish I would. Instead, it's a sort of in-between zone in which I'm asleep enough to not know what the heck's going on. It's like reliving daytime anxieties, but I'm too asleep to remember any TMS techniques. But then again, as you point out, it's not like waking up from a nightmare provides an easy opportunity to reset. It's just that sleeping seems to be the most exhausting activity I engage in!

What happens when you notice a 'twitch or something'? Can't stop focusing on it? Are these particular sensations that you're sensitized to and afraid of, or just any body awareness that comes up is an ordeal? Either way, again I can sympathize. I'll send a little prayer off to the sandman for you.

7. eskimoeskimo

Could you elaborate on this part? Thanks IrishSceptic