1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleep Issue

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by unlearningpain, Jul 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. unlearningpain

unlearningpain Peer Supporter

I'm ready to fight the pain that tms gives,
    but what demotivates me the most is no sleep day.I feel like all the positive tms mindset in vain.it disturbs me to core

what happens with me in night is,i go to bed normally.
    I wake up in morning only to realize that i haven't slept at night.i was just lying unconscious.i wasn't able to get relaxing sleep.

Its a weird feeling.Its like going to real sleep,you have some shallow dreams.you don't remember what happened at night.
    But still it is not normal sleep like other days.

what is this phenomena?
    can anyone relate.

Any way to avoid this ?

2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I have experienced this, as well as all the other ways sleep can be disrupted. What I think is happening in your case is that you are sleeping at a very shallow level and not getting the deep sleep that is restorative. Google the levels of sleep for more information. I believe there are four levels and if you aren't getting into the third and fourth level, you won't feel rested when you wake up. Since you are having some dreams, you are getting into the fourth level, which is REM sleep where dreaming occurs, but not staying long enough there. If I remember correctly, the third level is the most important for contributing toward feeling rested and restored the next day.

I was never able to find a solution specifically for this. Overall you need to address anxiety and your brain's ability to "let go" and actually relax during sleep. Generally anything that will reduce fear and anxiety will help. Also, some sleep hygiene techniques may help. Make sure your room where you sleep is very quiet and dark. If there is a noise that your brain interprets as dangerous, it won't let go and let you go into deep sleep, e.g. an air conditioner that cycles on and off. It's like sleeping with "one eye open".

plum likes this.
  3. LaughingKat

LaughingKat Peer Supporter

Sleep is so important to healing, and if you don't get quality sleep your tension and anxiety can only increase. I've read that if you do 4-7-8 breathing for a full minute, you can't help but fall asleep. Or a simple meditation by focusing on your breathing could help. Also some Sleepy Time tea. There are other natural sleep aids in your health food store too.

If you aren't on any medication, you might ask your doctor for a mild tranquilizer/sedative prescription so you can find your way back to the sleep you need and deserve.

Good luck!

4. unlearningpain

unlearningpain Peer Supporter

tms is switching between headache-quadpain and sciatica-sleeplessness and sometimes all of them.im convinced its tms but its hitting me back harder every time. yesterday i used punching bag technique to remove emotions and my leg pain went to headaches.
    But i was unable to sleep again :(