1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Sleeping positions

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Gigalos, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi all,

I had an idea last night when I lay in bed prior to falling asleep.

I am a side sleeper. I cannot fall asleep when I lie on my back. This has always been like that, also before I started to have mindbody symptoms.
    The weird thing is that my symptom of discomfort in my lower back and groin is at its worst when I lie on my back, when I lie on my side I have little discomfort.
    Could it be a mindbody connection at work here? Does my mind recognize that when I am in a certain position, chances are higher that all I will be able to do is muse and ponder and not fall asleep. Do others recognize this, having the most discomfort when in a sleeping position that they normally can't fall asleep in??

just curious, thanks for any reactions

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Yes, I had that same reaction. I'm a side sleeper. When I would lay on my back it would begin pain. That's a full conditioned response. I can lay in any position I want without any symptoms now. But I prefer stomach, or side. For me it's a security issue.

Forest likes this.
  3. Gigalos

Hi Steve,

Security issue? Can you explain that?

I see the same response when I am driving in my car. I don't think the seats are that bad, but a long drive just makes me muse and ponder.

I just realized that last year when my groin pain started viciously, I woke up with it lying on my back............. hmmmmm........ I am suddenly confused about this, is it the musing and pondering or is it the waking up on your back with a sudden vicious pain...... ?? I still think it is the musing and pondering that is connected to certain situations.... (??)

thanx

4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Hi, yes, security, meaning safety, or protective position from attack. Perhaps some primal defense against invaders. When people get completely overwhelmed they often fall into a fetal position for security. I don't suck my thumb at night but that would explain any bruxism. W curl up into a ball as a natural response to fear. Laying on your back opens you up to a position of vulnerability.

You could easily have a conditioned response to laying a certain way, that wouldn't be unusual at all. But it can be broken.

Steve

Karen likes this.
  5. Gigalos

curl up like a hedgehog... :)
    I think we can go many ways with this, but bottom line, it's probably conditioned.

thanx for the explanation Steve

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I, too, am a side sleeper. Can't fall asleep on my back. I also am a right-side sleeper. I sleep faster and better on my right side
    than my left. Don't know why.

I cover my digital clock when I get into bed. If I wake up for a pit stop I don't want to know it's only 3 o'clock in the morning.
    If I saw that, I'd have a real hard time getting back to sleep.

If I can't fall asleep or get back to sleep after a pit stop, I try counting backwards from 100 to 1. Forbes Robbins Blair recommends it in Instant Self-Hypnosis, and it works for me, although sometimes I have to do it several times. Usually during the third time counting 100 to 1, I fall asleep.

My dog never has any trouble falling to sleep. I wonder what Annie's secret is? She doesn't have a TMS pain bone in her body. Maybe it's because I give her dog biscuits. Should I try them?

7. Gigalos

give them a try walt , they say they're just as good and safe as biscuits for humans :)