1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Starting a TMS support group

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MariaK, Dec 5, 2019.

1. MariaK

MariaK Peer Supporter

Hi all, I'm reaching out to anyone who has run a TMS support group to offer me ideas about how to go about it.

I haven't posted my story yet. I have suffered from Chronic Fatigue and a long list of other symptoms for 25 years. Like dizziness, muscle weakness, nausea, constantly feeling hungry-even after eating. Oftentimes feeling hungrier after I ate. I suffered from all of those things together every day for at least 20-25. And many other symptoms. Once I began to figure out I had a mind/body illness (3-4 years ago), it began to try to trick me with physical pain, in different parts of my body. Symptoms that I had on a daily basis for decades, I can now usually eliminate in a matter of minutes. Including physical pain. I do not, unfortunately, have my Chronic Fatigue (CFS) figured out. So, for all of my intense work and determination, I am still not functioning very well. I'm not working and haven't worked in a decade. But I know I'm going to get there eventually.

While I don't have as good a grasp as some of you about TMS, I think I have enough knowledge to help others. About six months ago, I started a group at my library, twice a month. I've only had four people come. Only one has returned. She has had Lyme for 30 years and a host of other symptoms. And she immediately had a book cure--for 10 days anyway--where she was pain free. So, she's one person who is very interested! (I've never had a book cure or anything close to it).

Every month, I change my mind about what handouts to print out. And how to keep it simple for people. On my flyers, I've made the group sound like it's about symptom relief, rather than complete cure. Because I want people to at least come once and meet a real live person, who can tell their story. I think if I start with the idea of complete cure, people will scoff at it and never come. I also worry that, if the group ever grows, that some people will just want to view it as a chronic illness support group, where they're interested in maybe feeling 10% better. Rather than having the mindset of someone who knows they have a mind/body illness. So, I wanted some input about that.

Sorry I'm sending this out when I'm kind of rushed! PM me if you think that's less complicated. Thanks in advance!

Maria

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019