1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stopping breathing for brief periods

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by ComaDivine34, Mar 15, 2023.

1. ComaDivine34

ComaDivine34 Peer Supporter

I noticed during times of stress or concentration I tend to hold my breath. Not for any long amount of time, maybe a few seconds or so. I notice too, when I am concentrating, stressed or working on a project for a while is when I feel more pain. I can assume that the involuntary breath holding doesn't help TMS due to the lack of oxygen. When I notice this I definitely try and get back into a rhythm of breathing using my diaphragm. Curious if there are any other ways to ensure I am breathing properly constantly and wanted to see if any others notice this phenomenon. I notice this happening at work, especially when trying to figure out a problem or am dealing with a difficult customer or situation. Thanks!

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This really isn’t all that unusual. Lots of people hold their breath or shallow breathe when under stress or anxiety. It really is simply a mind-body reaction. What do you do?
    Notice.
    “What am I feeling” is an easy question. Notice the emotion, take a breath and forget about it. It is no big deal. Seriously, you are really just seconds or a fraction of a second holding your breath. You have not stopped breathing. You are fine.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Holding the breath, shallow breathing, clenching of toes, abdomen, diaphragm, neck, jaw... been there, done all those, still catch myself being mindless and falling into the habits of a (long) lifetime.

What @Cactusflower said, 100%.

Search for "breathing techniques" to discover the benefits of mindful breathing! Perfect companion for doing the emotional TMS work.

RobOptimist likes this.
  4. ComaDivine34

ComaDivine34 Peer Supporter

Thank you for this. Glad to hear it isn't unusual and that it is simple to combat. Will have to be more mindful during these times.