1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Stress vs Repression ??

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Freedom, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Freedom

Freedom Peer Supporter

I think I am a little confused on the cause of pain with TMS in regards to Stress vs (Rage)Repression.

I have many instances where I am thinking about something stressfull, trying to plan out things in my future, worrying about if things will end up ok etc. Nearly seconds later I will have a twinge of pain somewhere.

To clarify, its not the stress itself that is causing the pain? Because we are unable to avoid stressful situations in life. It's repression that causes the pain? If so, what could be being repressed in that moment of thought - > pain if I am having conscious thoughts?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Freedom,

Yes, it is not the stress itself, so much as the Inner Child's reaction to the stress, or perhaps more specifically to the type of thinking and feeling going on in the conscious process. In those moments, you might gently inquire, as Dr. Sarno suggests, into "what my Inner Child might be feeling." It might be that it feels fearful of the future, with no control. It might be that it feels coerced into attempting to "keep it together" so the future will be OK, and that pressure creates other feelings. It might be that your Inner Critic is attacking you for worrying. The more you can meditate on those familiar moments of "worry," the more specifics you'll see. Then you can link it to likely feelings of the Inner Child, in response.

Andy B

colls100 likes this.