1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

symptom imperative at work? bfs / tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Erik1971, Jul 10, 2021.

1. Erik1971

Erik1971 New Member

Hi there.

Not posted here for a long time. A couple of years ago it started with tinnitus, then tinnitus faded to the background and was replaced by benign fasciculation syndrome (body wide muscle twitching) and insomnia. I recovered from that completely so those of you facing musle twichting, it is definitely a TMS symptom that can resolve over time as did my insomnia. But unfortunately Tinnitus started to come back and again my brain is fully occupied with this new symptom. Although I have had the experience of other symptoms going away over time, it annoys me that I get anxious again over new symptoms and that my brain can trick me again in this (obsessive) focus on new symptoms. Would love to hear from other people on this forum how they have dealt with this especially with the Tinnitus symptoms.

Thanks so much!

Erik

2. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

Hi Erik,

I've not had tinnitus, but I think one of the main points in all this is that it's not about any of the particular manifestations, it's about recognising the cause of the symptom.

From what you have said, you get this, you know what it is, and well, yes, new symptoms are annoying. I'm having some myself. And yes, I'm annoyed, too. And I'm doing the work. I'm back in the books, reading whatever seems relevant, or reading one cover to cover again, and discovering and rediscovering. Somehow I always seem to find something to guide me very quickly. I journal in the morning, because that's a practice that works for me. I start with whatever is on my mind when I get up, or a dream I've had, and see what comes out. And after, the papers are shredded. That was something new I started recently. I am writing more freely knowing that no one will ever read them and I won't even find them someday to mull over. It's just getting it out and feeling through things as honestly (self-honesty) as I can in the moment.

There are many approaches, and maybe this time you can try one you didn't use before. I'm back in Steve Ozanich's book and I would swear there are things I didn't read the first time around, but they are jumping out at me this time. I'm trying some different approaches in the middle of the pain, and uncovering some new anger and depth of feelings.

Along with the annoyance is the embarrassment of my perfectionist personality....so it's good for me to be here sharing honestly, so thank you for invitation!

Aimee