1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Symptom imperative?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Asherman27, Aug 20, 2019.

1. Asherman27

Asherman27 New Member

So a year ago I dealt with some pretty crazy mind body symptoms. I had weird itchy feet....sharp pains in my arms and scalp. Went for an mri to rule out MS. Of course they found narrowing of the cervical spine and degeneration (I’m 42 duh there will be degeneration). They also discovered a malformation which I was born with called chiari . The neurologist asked questions about those Chiari symptoms and i didn’t have them. He said you wouldn’t have really known about this unless you have symptoms and they find this malformation common and find looking for other things. I guess we all could have stuff but unless we’re looking for stuff we wouldn’t know!

Anywho it’s been a year and my symptoms have subsided and I’ve done Sarno and Nicole Sacks work! It reallllly helped. That’s how I knew it was TMS. About two weeks ago I had some family stress and I started getting some headaches. Of course guess what happens next. I start to panic. The thoughts of “oh no is this the malformation now?” My headache followed with anxiety (which I have dealt with all my life) and panic. I am over thinking everything. Every little feeling l...im just confused and frustrated. Any advise on what to do next or words of comfort would be greatly appreciated. I am journaling again and trying to not fear the fear. Just be in the moment and let thoughts come and not fear (per the great Claire Weeks). I know the malformation has always lingered in the back of my mind and it’s been a huge terror for me. Would the headaches be because subconsciously my body is trying to distract me.

Sorry for the long drawn out ramble. Felt good to just get this out.

Thanks guys!

2. birdsetfree

birdsetfree Well known member

I can empathise with your fear about finding out you have chiari. As I understand it the most common type does not usually cause symptoms and is an accidental finding when imaging is being done for something else.

Since your headaches have coincided with family stress in conjunction with your knowledge of this condition, TMS could definitely be at play. It may be a good idea to contact the neurologist and keep him informed of any changes to your symptoms but staying calm about this would be what I would recommend from all points of view. If it is TMS and you stay calm, the headaches will go. If not you will work it out with the Neurologist. Either way you are safe.