1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Targeting Specific Symptoms

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by cax, Apr 13, 2015.

1. cax

cax New Member

When going through the recovery process, is there any way to target (prioritize) a specific symptom? For example, if you have headaches, back pain and IBS, is there any method to specifically target one symptom over the others?

2. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

No.

The release still comes over time, with relaxation, deepening insight, and a more balanced, peaceful happier self. Unfreeze your emotions, become more expressive through creativity, mend or forgive some relationships, play music, deepen your understanding, strengthen your belief, exercise, laugh more, let go, better sex life, listen and express, become more mindful.

By "targeting" you fall back into your brain's strategy of diversion and deceit. Never try to heal, never think about body, never obsess, never worry.

Hey, 3 out of 4 aint bad.

Anne Walker likes this.
  3. cax

cax New Member

Steve, thanks for the definitive response "No." I was pretty sure there was no way to "target", but some issues are more bothersome, so thought I would ask. As you said, targeting would be "thinking about the body", which is clearly mentioned in the treatment plans - "must think psychological at all times, not physical".

Thank you Steve for the clear response.

Lizzy likes this.
  4. Steve Ozanich

Steve Ozanich TMS Consultant

Targeting "specifically" would be trying to heal, which is #1 on the no-no list. Anyone that goes to my website gets the list of mistakes I'm seeing for what it's worth. It's only my opinion, but trying to heal, I believe, is #1.

Never ever ever never ever try to heal. Never. Ever. Did you see the Rankin TEDx? I contacted her when my book was first released. She gets it because she went through the ringer like I did. In that talk she stated, "What if I tell you that the body is the least important thing in health?" She's exactly right! The body is only a report card of the relationships.

Everyone here that keeps going over lists, and asking redundant questions, and trying to understand the body, and trying to define characteristics of symptoms, in any way, is playing into the hands of the brain's brilliant scheme. By thinking about healing, or in the manner in which healing should occur, or will occur, or how long it took for someone else to heal, or how to journal, or whether the Presence Process will help, or whether this thing should feel like this on the left side of the body, or feel like that on the right side of the body is defeating healing.

Consciousness must shift from body to life. The good doctor nailed it when he said in HBP, "As long as he is preoccupied with what his body is doing, his symptoms will continue." Exactly!

I'm convinced that the more time passes that people will see the genius in Dr. Sarno's words. Anyone can heal today, with no problem. But their need for their symptoms remains, and so their techniques must be guarded and analyzed, and their questions asked... in order to fill that need. This is not a criticism, but a statement on the level of understanding.

There's an old American Indian story of an Indian that died. When he looked back on his life he said, "What was I so worried about?"

People need to be thinking about why they need their symptom only. What is it telling them? It doesn't matter if it's severe or minor, why has it surfaced? Why trumps what in the health game.

Steve

IrishSceptic likes this.
  5. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

This is the stage I'm at. Having for so long believed my back was screwed and I would never play football again (a sport I played from ages 5-19 when I was told to stop running as my back was already in the condition of a 30 year olds) I'm trying to unravel that whole edifice and get back into gainful employment.
    Its tough but this place is a goldmine for when the doubts creep in.
    Its just cant be TMS!? !

6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve, I love your reply, to cax, especially:

"The release still comes over time, with relaxation, deepening insight, and a more balanced, peaceful happier self. Unfreeze your emotions, become more expressive through creativity, mend or forgive some relationships, play music, deepen your understanding, strengthen your belief, exercise, laugh more, let go, better sex life, listen and express, become more mindful."

I've begun writing a new novel and am totally absorbed in it, having a ball. It is a perfect distraction for me, a writer.
    And the subject is a world away from TMS or pain or healing. It's a romantic comedy! So I say a big YES to creativity and laughing.