1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

The Challenge Of Fear

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Viridian, Nov 27, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Viridian

Viridian Peer Supporter

Hello all, apologies as I posted this in the general forum by mistake and now cannot delete it!

I have a question regarding fear.

So having fully accepted that TMS is responsible for my myriad of symptoms, I still really fear them and what could come next. I'm now just afraid of the beast that is TMS and the consequences it's symptoms could have, rather than any structural damage.

How do I approach breaking down this loop of fear and anxiety? It's almost as if my mind has found a way to circumvent the 'It's just TMS, only psychological, there's nothing structurally wrong' approach. The problem is that the mind will always come up with new scary evidence that you're going to suffer, all I have this is this measly piece of evidence to offer back. You cannot win.

I'm actively doing all the things that my mind is fearful of - I had chronic pain in my wrists and arms, I now go to the gym, I've noticed that I TMS about losing my voice and my vocal chords get tight, yet I still sing every day. I get anxiety symptoms and self soothe during these processes, feel it in my chest and breathe deep, use the Claire Weekes methods - yet it all persists. My symptoms just fly all over the place.

Any idea where I could be going wrong?

All the best and thank you for all your support,

Viridian x