1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Program Tightness and excercise

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by nealdude85, May 8, 2015.

1. nealdude85

nealdude85 Newcomer

Hi all, so pleased to be a part of this site of people with such openness about their pain. I have been suffering from chronic pain and tightness for about a decade. I'm 29. I've been diagnosed with a bevy of conditions, including ankylosing spondylitis, Lyme disease, schuermann's syndrome, fibromyalgia, scoliosis, femoral acetabular impingement, scoliosis, neck bone spurs, and cervical stenosis. Jeeze is that a mouthful! Drugs, depression, guilt, shame, unemployment, lack of confidence, the whole nine. The past few years I've been pushing through my depression and pain using Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, which has been beautiful. I'm surfing again and workin part time. My question is this...if I've become more active but still retain the extreme tightness and soreness , is there any theories as to how--in a tension response, I'm tight and hurt--is there anyone who postulates that this tightness makes certain areas more suceptible to an increase in pain after excercise considering the fascia, tendons, and muscles are already choked of their normal blood flow from TMS? I ask this because I notice I hurt more and am more tight after certain excercise, including surfing? This is my first post and I'm not sure if im making sense here...any insight would be most appreciated!!!

Markus and IrishSceptic like this.
  2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

According to Dr. Sarno's theory and the studies he referenced, the O2 deprivation is at a minute level in a few specific cells. The pain is excruciating but benign, he says it's as painful or more so then any real trauma can create. You may be feeling real muscular soreness from your activity, but your TMS mind is creating fear that you are doing damage. Compare it to having a cold and you feel all achy, the pain is magnified--TMS is the volume control for the pain--fear of doing damage is the culprit. That's my theory on what you may be experiencing--but I'm only a tennis player.

G'luck!
    tt/lsmft

Lizzy likes this.
  3. Ryan

Ryan Well known member

Welcome, I to found out about tms around your age. you are at the right place. Start gaining knowledge and reading tms books. Healing back pain, great pain deception, and there are many more I could name.

I'm no doctor so I cannot diagnose you, but if you have tms you have to let go of what modern medicine has told you about your body. you can't have one foot in the ballpark and one out. Start focusing on your life and relationships, including the one with yourself. Your body is fine if you have tms it's the mind and relationships that need healing.

you definitely have all the triggers for tms and personality. don't worry about tension in your muscles I had the same and mine went away. Find what works for you in healing, but it comes down to belief. You can heal if you want to and it's a fun ride, hang on. you will be the one to ultimately heal yourself otgers will help you alomg the way. Your life will be forever changed, goodluck. We are what we believe.

Ryan