1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS Evidence and Research

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Callum bosua, Jul 26, 2022.

1. Callum bosua

Callum bosua Peer Supporter

Found this absolutely compelling document on the PPda website. Use Cntrl + Command + F to find your keywords (mine is tendon!). I'm sure there is evidence to support TMS as the cause of your symptoms/diagnoses in this document. It is set out so well that each study has been summarised.

https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...e/1633138386429/PPDA+Bibliography+10-1-21.pdf

Enjoy! It blew my mind how many studies there are that show asymptomatic degradation in tendons and discs. Its a part of life just like wrinkles, and you don't hear about them causing pain! (cue someone who has wrinkle pain in this forum :) )

2. Shambambo

Shambambo Newcomer

İn one of asymptomatic group findings, some asymptomatic people even have nerve pressure, surely interesting.

Callum bosua likes this.
  3. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

Very cool info! Thanks for posting.

Callum bosua likes this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I finally got around to downloading this document, which is very cool! Thanks for posting this, @Callum bosua.

For those wanting a little more context, here's the intro which explains what this document is:

Annotated Bibliography for
    Psychophysiologic Disorders
    and Chronic Pain
    Updated October 1, 2021
    Compiled by:
    Jeffrey Axelbank, PsyD
    Georgie Oldfield, MCSP
    David Clarke, MD
    Introduction

The Psychophysiologic Disorders Association (PPDAssociation.org) recommends evidence-based
    psychological techniques for diagnosis, treatment and relief from persistent physical symptoms
    that are not caused by organ disease or structural abnormalities. We refer to this form of illness as
    Psychophysiologic Disorders (PPD) and the symptoms include chronic pain, medically
    unexplained symptoms, chronic functional syndromes and somatisation disorders. However,
    because a wide range of specialties has addressed these issues, the relevant science has been
    published in a very large number of journals making it a challenge to comprehensively review.
    Consequently, few clinicians are aware of the quality and quantity of evidence supporting a
    psychological approach to PPD symptoms. The bibliography below compiles the most relevant
    published research into a single document. Each paper is annotated with a description of its key findings.
    Use your PDF app's keyword search to find the topic you're interested in. The results are short summaries of the findings of these many studies. There are 45 pages and 218 individual study summaries!

I searched for "Rheumatoid" (since I have RA) and found three studies which included RA patients in the context of studying PPD and the effectiveness of psychological interventions. One of the interventions was journaling (with significantly measurable results).

Callum bosua likes this.
  5. Celayne

Celayne Well known member

I love research! I will download this. Thanks for sharing the link.