1. Our TMS drop-in chat is today (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM DST Eastern U.S.(New York). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support. JanAtheCPA is today's host. Click here for more info or just look for the red flag on the menu bar at 3pm Eastern.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS in remission

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Pingman, Nov 21, 2021.

1. Pingman

Pingman Well known member

I wanted to post an update for anyone who is struggling right now.

I had a really rough couple of months starting in January. A history of TMS issues spanning back over the last 10 years or so that came and went. Had my worst episode from Jan-April this year. Terrible groin pain that brought on back pain. That brought on insomnia which spiraled into anxiety. Then I had tinnitus. I had lost all ability to think rationale. I was seeking reassurance from everywhere which would give me short bursts of happiness but never lasted long.

I have pretty much been back to normal since late May. My back pain is a 1/10 now and most days I never notice it. I am golfing when I want and as active as I want to be. I am also sleeping 7 hours every night. I fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow.

It was like I had an outer body experience for those 4 months, the fear was so powerful. I feel so blessed that people like my wife and miffybunny stuck with me. I am 100% better now and so happy...happier to be honest because I have a new appreciation for everything. I was going through the motions in life.

What worked for me.... the journaling and meditation didn't work. The sleep maintenance and taking a shower before bed to relax and sleeping in a room without light didn't work. Indifference was the key for me. I had to finally get out of my head and embrace the ear ringing, back pain, insomnia. I started to golf again in pain, I started to watch TV in bed again. I started to workout again.

I decided to follow the advice of miffybunny and Dan Buglio and Alan Gordon. When my own GP agreed with everyone that the mind could do all of this and probably was I just got to work. An it is work and was hard. Finally I convinced my mind that I was ok. When my sleep got back on track the ear ringing subsided. When I started to move naturally again I think my body readjusted and my back pain reduced a bunch. My body and mind thought it was protecting me by scaring me from golfing and running. I also did 3 sessions of EMDR therapy and I think that was a catalysts for helping my mind see the truth and unlock some things.

I was in a really bad spot and am back to living my best life again. If your struggling I hope this helps. I am sure this won't be my last TMS episode but I am better equipped to deal with it in the future.

Ellen likes this.
  2. Bitzalel Brown

Bitzalel Brown Peer Supporter

Great work Pingman , Its so important that people like yourself share their story and how they succeeded because there are so many variables in this TMS game that everyone contributes to other chance of helping themselves. Thank you