1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

TMS might be your best friend ever

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Delphy, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Delphy

Delphy New Member

Hi, everyone.

I didn't know where to post this story so I decided here is the best place.

I am on my Day 6 of SEP. Pain is moving, shifting, changing forms, I am doing my best to to smile at it at tell it - I know you, you just do your thing, I'll do mine.

I wanted to share a story with you. Yesterday, I got a phone call from my best friend who is a neonatologist and work in the intensive care for premature newborns and infants. Her work is very strenuous, full of stress of making immediate decisions on procedures that should save lives of babies. And that is something that lasts for years in her case. What is worse, the hospital is suffering from shortage of good and devoted doctors in intensive care unit, so she is often working double shifts, carrying all that burden.

Last week, due to some circumstances, she worked almost 64 hours without a decent rest - and she snapped. She told me after this she had 100 heartbeats in a minute just resting and watching TV, followed with no sleep at all for couple of days and terrible tension in her back. When she returned to the job from a day off, she got renal colic with terrifying pain, and that was something completely new to her. She took some pain killers and continued to work all that day. In the evening, she twisted her ankle in a hospital cafeteria so badly that her entire leg became first painful then numb.

Finally, my friend was clever enough to say to herself - this is it, here I draw the line, if I don't I might end up tomorrow with a brain hemorrhage, or even worse - I might not wake up at all. I have a beautiful family, she said, a wonderful marriage, healthy kids, so why I am working myself off? She decided to ask for a transfer to another hospital unit, unconditionally. I have to save myself, she said.

We talked about her sleep deprivation and body tension that lasted for years and how her body was warning her constantly that something was wrong in her life puzzle. I talked to her about mind body syndrome, and she ended up with saying: this "condition" might be my best friend ever.

Is it just a coincidence that she shared this story with me while I'm at the very beginning of SEP and in need of constant reassurance? I don't think so.

Love to you all,
    Delphy

Simplicity and JanAtheCPA like this.
  2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Delphy,
    No, I agree it is no coincidence! When we turn inward, or expand our view of our life, the universe tends to support us. How nice too that you your best friend is developing this same understanding of TMS that you are. How nice to have a companion along the way...
    Andy B.

Delphy likes this.