1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Tms scarier than physical pain

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by jamejamesjames1, Jun 21, 2020.

1. jamejamesjames1

jamejamesjames1 Peer Supporter

Everyone always says to get rid of the fear of having a physical problem, but I think having a physical problem is less scary. Every physical problem I've ever had goes away within a few weeks of rest, stretching, massage, ice, beat, etc.

This tms pain is much scarier because my mind is doing it and I dont feel I have any control over it or expectations of quick resolution.

And with physical pain you know a certain activity will make it worse, where with my issues my brain decides what will make it better or worse so I feel like everything is scarier as you don't know when it'll get worse.

Lastly, physical pain tends to peak and then slowly get better...with tms pain it can get worse and worse and you never know when it'll peak or switch or whatever...

Am I on an island here?

Jules likes this.
  2. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

I have noticed this for years. It almost seems like the bigger component of the pain of TMS is the fear. But , once I beat it a couple hundred times, that fear goes away and it turns into low grade contempt. Maybe at myself,maybe the pain

I had a symptom start on Friday that I am certain is TMS. I am not scared. I am bugged that I have to do all of this writing and reflecting. I'd rather be playing. It hasn't gotten any traction because I know why it is there but I am angry that it happens anyways.... or angry I am not Buddha and don't immediately blow off all of these enraging things
    I actually DO have expectations of quick resolution... the longer I have done this and the more I am certain it is my brain, the shorter the 'events' are and the less intense they get.

The only thing I don't understand there is, which physical pains aren't TMS? (besides soreness from playing/working out hard)???

I treat virtually all pain as TMS. Even the traumatic stuff like getting hit or falling, I keep an eye out for TMS trying to latch on to it. But I have found very few things that can distract me are NOT TMS.

nowa minarden and Tennis Tom like this.