1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Trigger finger and TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Dylan, Aug 8, 2021.

Tags:
  1. Dylan

Dylan Newcomer

Unfortunately during the chat a few weeks ago someone told me that the therapists don't respond to the ''ask a therapist'' thread anymore. I was wondering if there are people on this forum who can share their experiences with trigger finger caused by TMS. Does it exist and what are your experiences? I'm quite new to the forum so if anyone can give me further advice, I would appreciate that.

I'll tell you about my experience.

I have trigger finger even though I'm quite young (23). It started more than a year ago when I played guitar. I haven't played in almost a year now. The weird thing was that I played way more (professionally) the year before I got trigger finger. After I came across dr. Sarno's work and read the divided mind that was when I was getting suspicious about the physical cause I could come up with and the diagnose I was given by a surgeon which was: Overusing my fingers through typing, work and making music.

I have already been through conventional physical therapy, received one cortisol injection, and the last option the surgeon gave me was surgery. I declined his offer. I'm searching for other possible causes and treatments. I don't have a severe form where my finger is stuck in one position because I can move my finger completely. The problem is the stiffness in the fingers (especially annoying if you want to make music). You can still feel a little node/knot in the pointing finger and pinky in which I have it.

In relation to this. It is clearly stated that the advice given everywhere is not a ''diagnose''. I did receive a trigger finger diagnosis from a surgeon but how would one diagnose trigger finger caused by TMS if that is even possible? Most physicians especially in other countries, in my case, the Netherlands, aren't familiar with TMS... and will, like the vast majority of physicians, reject this idea...

2. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

3. Dylan

Dylan Newcomer

Thanks! Anyone else on this forum that can share their personal experience?

4. Fal

Fal Peer Supporter

Im not sure if youre still around Dylan but yes i am also suffering with the same, trigger finger in both my index fingers. I am 36, and was told it was down to overuse but i dont believe in the slightest when i know people who use their hands more than i do. I have suffered with a lot of anxiety and depression for the past 6-7 years.

My thought process is that my TMS from the anxiety has restricted oxygen to my forearms, hand and fingers and thus making my hands stiff opening the door for the trigger finger to start. I have the nodule below my finger too which moves when i move the finger back and forth and like you it doesnt get stuck. I am currently in the process of going through the programme and live in hope that it will resolve.

5. Jacobm

Jacobm Newcomer

Hi Dylan - I read your post and your experience is so very similar to mine, would love to chat more about it. I’m also trying to figure out what to do about swelling in my tendons, causing stiffness in all of my fingers in both hands, including nodules on tendons a few fingers, causing trigger finger. I have arthritis type symptoms where my fingers on both hands are stiff and painful overnight, which minimizes about an hour after waking up but don’t go away completely.

I also have played guitar my entire life without any issues (I’m 50) and about a year and a half ago this all came on suddenly.

I’ve been tested for everything possible (rheumatoid arthritis, arthritis, tendinitis, nerve damage) and all of the tests come up negative. I’ve seen many doctors and the overall diagnosis seems to be overuse.

I have had cortisone shots which temporarily helped for a period of time but my symptoms returned. I’m considering surgery and just started reading the Mindbody Prescription to explore possible TMS.

Curious about how your hands are doing and whether you have found any relief?

6. Jacobm

Jacobm Newcomer

7. Jacobm

Jacobm Newcomer

Hi Fal - your symptoms sound similar to mine, were you able to get any relief? I’m starting to read the Mindbody Prescription and curious if it was helpful for you. Hope that you’ve been able to find some relief for your hand pain.

8. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

All of that 'overusing the hands' is such a crock of bullshit.
    "But typewriters"!

Yeah... but Weaving? But, Framing a whole house w/o a nail gun or power tools?
    But...writing? But fighting off animals and skinning them?
    But... You get it.
    The word 'man' actually comes from the word for hand... thus the only thing that distinguishes higher primates from other animals is a really well evolved ability to use our hands.

I haven't had 'trigger finger' but I have had Thumb and hand pain that were both TMS.. in fact, I blamed it on guitar for like a day...until It started in the other hand... It isn't even clever!

Right after I got better from back pain and went back to work, I was working on a film and my Thumb and wrist began to go numb. It finally bugged enough to go and see the medic who told me I had carpal tunnel?...Having been warned that was TMS, I went back to work and focused on what was bugging me....on that particular job , it was the rest of the crew disappearing after lunch and leaving me alone to explain their whereabouts (they were at a bar)
    As soon as I figured out what the anger was, it left...But important to that vignette is I didn't let it get any traction and become conditioned. Once something has become conditioned, there is the the complication of back-figuring the conditioning and working that out... but it's all do-able.

I don't believe in back pain or carpal tunnel. They are 100% TMS barring a Tumor or broken bone...and even then I snapped bones in my fingers that have healed pain free with zero medical treatment.

I began learning fingerstyle about 10 years ago... I will sometimes sit for 5-8 hours a day playing guitar... and occasionally it gets sore. the good kind of sore like after an awesome workout, but it never hurts. That's on steel strings BTW and the gauge matters not.

It's there to hold your attention. It thinks it's keeping you from a worse fate.