1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Vitamin B12 & D deficiencies...freaking out

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Steve J., Dec 4, 2014.

1. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

Hello all,

I had vitamin levels taken a few months ago that revealed low D and B12 levels, and even though I have TMS, these deficiencies exist...I've been supplementing, but now I'm worrying that they're not being absorbed properly or some irreversible damage has occurred due to the deficiencies. Can anyone offer some advice on this, please?? I'm having a rough night.

Steve

2. Peggy

Peggy Well known member

You can take vitamin B12 sublingually (under the tongue, you have to buy sublingual vitamin b12) then you wouldn't have to worry about absorption. You can also take B12 by a shot. Both these methods are supposed to work better than a pill. I am not sure about vitamin D. Would that lessen your worries about absorbtion with the B12?

3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

Steve,
    If you are taking your vitamin D and B12 in the form and dosage prescribed/recommended by your doctor, then you should be fine. The worry you are experiencing is likely a manifestation of your TMS. Our unconscious likes to find any excuse to create the distraction of TMS, and your low vitamin levels have provided it with material. Treat it the same way as your other TMS and you'll be just fine--tell your brain to knock it off, your body is just fine.

mike2014 likes this.
  4. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

I take a Vitamin D3 softgel every day (2000 iu) because I don't get enough sunshine,
    especially in winter. It's real important vitamin.

But Mike is probably right that your vitamin worries are just TMS.

5. camera

camera Peer Supporter

I wouldn't worry too much because I think pretty much everyone has low vitamin d and vitamin b12. I had one doctor tell me I had ridiculously low vitamin d, but he seemed like he was always making a big deal of how weak and unhealthy I was and I was convinced he just wanted my money.

Don't worry about the damage being irreversible. My b12 was so low that I could feel the electrical signals coming from electronics because my nerve coverings were damaged. I'm not like that anymore. When you're in a good state, your nerves rebuild themselves. I think my low levels of d and b12 were due to long-term stress more than anything.

linnyc87 likes this.
  6. Steve J.

Steve J. Well known member

Thanks, all!

It turns out my B12 levels are fine. They're low, but not in the realm of deficiency...just my mind getting myself distracted and worked up. I very much appreciate everybody's responses.

Steve