1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

weird sensation on my hamstrings

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by futuredancer, Nov 22, 2016.

1. futuredancer

futuredancer Peer Supporter

Hello guys! I haven´t been in this forum for a while since my last recovery from back/hip pain. Something happened to me yesterday and I would like your oppinion of a potential TMS aspect to it. I was stretching for the splits and I did a different adjustment and felt a really weird sensation. As if my hamstrings had gone out and back in place. It scared me at the moment but I tried to shake it off, since I didn´t feel any acute pain, as in like a tear. I woke up at 3 am really concerned. This morning I had pain in the hamstrings insertion and also in my foot and hip. Since the pain changes intensity up and down and is finding its way to different places, I thought TMS could be using the episode. I had so many TMS episodes that it is hard to think it is not playing around with me again. But at the same time, since it was a deep stretch, my "rational" side makes me doubt and believe it is sth strictly physical. If you have any thoughts or experiences on that, I would love to hear.

2. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

"gone out and back in place" ?? Do you mean that it felt like a muscle got overstretched for a brief moment? Or maybe it could have been a tendon that suddenly moved sideways?
    Just from what I read on the internet.... Like you already concluded, when your hamstring suffers a tear or gets strained, you should feel pain immediately. Non-acute hamstring injuries sound like TMS to me, especially because the medical community seems to have no sound idea on how to treat them. I would take it easy and see where it goes without worrying about it. Easier said than done of course, but if you can't stop worrying, why not see a PT to rule out anything serious?

3. futuredancer

Yes, it was a sideways movement. Thanks for your reply. I am a bit wary of PT because here in Brazil there are no TMS doctors. I ve searched before and couldn't find anyone. And with my previous episodes of pain - I am a classic case of TMS - herniated disc L5-S1 - with pain on the butt and shooting down the leg - all PTs I went to wanted me to follow the traditional protocol, which only made matters worse. When the TMS diagnosis sank in, I quickly got as good as new. So for the back/hip pain, I am 100% confident of TMS. What I fear is to go down the symptom imperative lane, and start having other things. Well, I have other symptons but not in the realm of muscle/articular pain. Since I am now very active physically, my workouts are intense and I am still trying to find the line between TMS and overexertion. Thanks again for taking the time to read my post and share your opinion with me.

4. Gigalos

Gigalos Beloved Grand Eagle

Hope you recover soon and don't forget to enjoy your dancing!!

futuredancer likes this.
  5. Miss Metta

Miss Metta Peer Supporter

Hi Dancer
    I too am still trying to figure out when it's TMS and when it's over-exertion, so you are not alone, there.
    As for weird sensations, try this one: my activity of choice to TMS with was swimming. I would always get pain in my left leg after swimming that would last for days, and at one stage had me barely able to walk. Recently I overcame this (with the help of Tom, Plum, my own GP and a lot of journaling). So now I can swim with no leg pain...except...there's this weird sensation in my left big toe as if there is a flap of skin or a band-aid stuck to it and it's 'dragging' through the water. It's the weirdest sensation! I'd guess it's left-over TMS and is to try and distract me or get me out of the pool. The first few times it happened I couldn't help but stand up, hoik my leg out of the water and examine my big toe, just to make sure there wasn't some sort of cut with a flap of skin on it or a band-aid or something else stuck to my toe that was 'dragging' in the water. There wasn't of course. But it's the weirdest thing! I think TMS can be quite inventive with its distractions.
    Metta

6. futuredancer

I also had a swimming tms memento. One day I felt a burn in the skin of the outside of my left arm when swimming . There was no burn or muscle problem going on. Another one of those weird tms symptoms indeed. I am still struggling with my hamstring a bit. My episode happened monday night and since I already had a doctors appointment scheduled for the the day after for another reason, I also mentioned it. He said I apparently had a dislocation of the biceps femoris. And that it wasnt serious but i shouldnt stretch that leg for a while. I rested the day after and yesterday i had a dance class in the morning and felt fine. In the evening, I went to my gymnastics class. And I was concerned to kick up into handstands. And of course, self fulfilling prophecy. As soon as I started kicking, I started feeling discomfort again. It is almost like I had programmed the pain to start. I don´t know if the medical "diagnostics" made matters worse. Still a bit at loss with that. I still don't know if I should TMS-test it (go for my workout fully no matter the pain) and see where it takes me or if should stay conservative and risk being stuck with TMS...