1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

What is the best type of meditation for TMS?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by [NameRedacted], Jan 18, 2019.

Tags:
  1. [NameRedacted]

[NameRedacted] New Member

I've been an on again, off again meditator for probably the past five or so years.

I first started a meditation practice during a stressful period in my life. My father had passed away, my girlfriend at the time had several relatives of hers pass away, friends had family members pass away, my girlfriend broke up with me, I moved to a new city for a new job, a close friend of mine committed suicide, another friend was having marital problems and I was his ad hoc therapist. This all took place over the course of one year,all total I probably went to maybe 8 or 9 funerals/ visitations in that time period.

It was probably the single most traumatic period of my life.

I was already exhibiting TMS symptoms, but things got worse around this time, and I didn't know who John Sarno was. I took up meditation to sort of calm myself down, or distance myself from my emotions so I could maybe get a chance to breathe. Some of the symptoms improved despite having no knowledge of TMS.

I'm trying to get back into a meditation routine since it seems like I've taken some time off from it, and I always feel sort of off when I'm not doing it i.e. less patience, quick to anger, and etc.

So I'm wondering what type of meditation is best suited for TMS sufferers? Should I be focusing in on my emotions, concentrating on the pain, or doing some sort of mantra work telling my pain to go away?

My training in meditation is pretty informal. It has been just me reading about the subject, occasionally using apps, and just practicing for intermittent periods of time. Any books, videos, courses, or online instruction recommendations would also be appreciated .

Thanks

2. Rosebud

Rosebud Peer Supporter

Last week, I started to listen to this guided Osho meditation: https://open.spotify.com/track/5XDFtUlfLAEt43oeyGe9sY (Osho Reminding Yourself of the Forgotten Language of Talking to Your Mind and Body (feat. Osho) - OSHO Meditative Therapy guided meditation and relaxation process)

I wanted a change, I was sorta tired of the follow-your-breath thing.

Supposedly, it reminds you of the forgotten language of talking to your mind and body. I find it very helpful, although once again, it makes me cry buckets. Everytime I listen to it, I hear new things. At some point, the Guardian is mentioned, the Guardian who gave you this symptom to protect you from something. You then ask the Guardian to find some other way to protect you, and you tell the aching bodypart to listen to the Guardian.

If someone happens to listen to it, would you post about it? I'd really appreciate that! @BloodMoon, where are ya? If you like Yoga Nidra, you're going to like this one too!

BloodMoon and Cheryl like this.
  3. [NameRedacted]

[NameRedacted] New Member

Interesting I will have to check this out.