1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

what to read for OCD

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by stevow7, May 9, 2019.

Tags:
  1. stevow7

stevow7 Well known member

currently im having constant OCD and i want to take control of it. i know it’s tms related, but sometimes the ocd and anxiety takes over and i can’t concentrate very well to take control.

anyone suggest any good books for this?

2. andy64tms

andy64tms Well known member

Hi Steve,

I believe the best book you could have is the one you write yourself. I did more journaling about my OCD which was Perfectionism and Frugalalism combination on these subjects than anything else.

I went way back to my childhood days and discovered the originations of why I had these traits. For then I found solace and comfort from the rejection of neglectful parents, as well as a retreat from a bully brother. I used to build houses with toy wooden bricks, over and over; I gained protection and distraction from the outside world as such.

At my retirement in 2011, my self stories started very seriously, but as I got into my teens they got funnier and funnier. I remember having tears of laughter when writing some of them, what a release! I wrote about 30 of them in total.

My career and future was molded by these traits, and I became a mechanical designer, I was surrounded by like minded engineers who were sometimes worse than me. So since becoming aware I have massively reduced both these traits (freedom). I conclude that: “Perfectionism is a gift to be used wisely, ” for it has its place.

It was with Steve Osanich’s book: “The great Pain Deception” that I became aware of how these traits were tied to anxiety and hidden self torture.

Be well

Last edited: May 12, 2019
    stevow7 likes this.
  3. Mitch

Mitch Peer Supporter

stevow7 likes this.
  4. stevow7

hello, so the point of this is being aware of whats going on, take action and then take control? i also feel like I'm a perfectionism. I constantly need to read, type, speak or do almost anything "perfectly" when in reality we are not perfect, only God (I'm a believer) is perfect. thanks for replying!

andy64tms likes this.
  5. stevow7

6. Mitch

Mitch Peer Supporter

Hope it helps you out