1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

When pain transfers to new area

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MWsunin12, Mar 18, 2016.

1. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi.

I'm recovering from a shingles outbreak on my right arm, hand and wrist. Though nerve pain has lingered, I've been compassionate with myself that this was an actual outbreak/illness and the pain is not TMS.

Here's my question: Because the right arm pain is still present, I feel like it's transferring other places: my thighs, my left arm, the right side of my face. Not constant, but totally when I'm scared about if my nerve pain on my right arm will abate. (It's 6 weeks since the outbreak)

I want to ignore the pain and go about my activities, but I have conflict: the right arm pain is real? The rest is TMS? Is the right arm now TMS too, since six weeks have passed?
    I also locked in (negatively) on what Dr's told me about nerve pain and how it takes so LONG for it to heal.
    I know I have anger towards doctors and their spewing of blah-blah generalizations.

I didn't do their recommended Gabapentin for nerve pain, because I don't want to take an anti-convulsive that just masks pain…and you're supposed to stay on it and titrate up. Read the side effects, and the misery of people trying to get off..and no way.

Can I get feedback on how to ignore the TMS part of this and let my body heal? I know many people started their journey's with an actual injury or accident or illness. How do you get past what you've been told?

Also, I want to say that when I got over the pudenal nerve pain, I realized that the more I read about it the more symptoms I acquired. I found that I was able to laugh about this once I found Sarno and TMS. But, this feels more of challenge or disbelief because of the visual illness. ;

thank you.

Marcia

2. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi Marcia,

My mother had a severe case of shingles a few years ago and I did a lot of research at the time because she developed post herpetic neuralgia. This was before I learned much about TMS. Its interesting though because a significant percentage of people who have shingles develop this lingering nerve pain and there isn't a great answer as to why some get it and not others. I remember from my reading then that they recommended controlling the pain well(thru medication) during the outbreak because they suspect that the brain develops neural pathways that reinforce the pain and they are continuing to fire even though the original illness that caused the pain has healed. So, if this is true, all of the strategies you have learned in treating your TMS will serve you well. Fear over how long the pain will continue will only perpetuate it. I see a lot of shingles working with the elderly and the good news is that it does fade. The worst is behind you. You may not be able to control exactly how and when it will leave you, but it will go away. You are not in danger. There is no action that needs to be taken other than to comfort and distract yourself the best you can. You are okay. Shingles is just awful and very painful, but many, many people get it. Try not to focus on the horror stories. You truly don't know what their circumstances are, what sort of TMS issues they have that might perpetuate the pain. That is not you. You are someone that has already learned and overcome painful conditions related to TMS. That is now a strength not a weakness. Those of us that have honed our TMS recovery skills are not invincible to pain, but we have learned how to live with and address it. I would not even try to distinguish at this point what is TMS and not as it relates to your shingles. The initial outbreak is over and you are good to go. You will get past this.

TJuerg, Anisha_d87, Ellen and 2 others like this.
  3. MWsunin12

Anne, So very helpful and encouraging. It rings of truth. I thank you. Thank you so, so much for taking the time to write me this hopeful message.

4. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Go Anne! Great response.
    I agree, Marcia, that you have a leg up on most shingles sufferers because you're aware of mind-body interactions, and know how to use your brain to talk some sense into your subC.
    I'm praying that the pain subsides, and soon.

MWsunin12 likes this.
  5. MWsunin12

Thanks for your prayer, Gigi. That means a lot to me.

6. MWsunin12

I just came back to read your reply again, Anne. Still going through some post-shingles stuff: numbness and aching and nerves. I think I'm too aware of the passage of time. Your post gives me comfort. Some days are a lot better than others which tells me it is about the neural pathways needing to be changed. Trying to have gratitude and stop the negative fear thoughts in their tracks. Your post helps me do that. So does Gigi.

Gigi likes this.
  7. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

So glad you're starting to feel better!