1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with JanAtheCPA as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

When you start to feel the emotions, what do you do with the anxiety

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Goldy, Oct 28, 2019.

1. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I'm starting to feel anxiety which I guess is a good thing. I think I read that when you learn to feel your emotions, that's where you are supposed to feel it. In your mind psychologically. Sometimes I will have a bad dream and wake up with fear and anxiety. Sometimes, it will just hit me out of the blue. I try to breath and think about what I was just thinking about and what set me off. I'm not loving the feeling of anxiety again, but I try hard not to push it away because I think that's what got me into this TMS situation.

Eric "Herbie" Watson and nowa like this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Since anxiety is a well-accepted TMS symptom, it seems to me that you are simply experiencing the Symptom Imperative, which is proof of TMS. Which is great news!

I can't remember which threads I've been on more than a few days prior, so I can't remember if you've had Claire Weekes recommended to you? She saved me and countless thousands from disabling anxiety over many decades.

3. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

That's what I'm hoping; will look up Claire.

Thanks!

nowa likes this.
  4. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

I am having similar problems, and am going to read "Hope and help for your nerves" by C Weeks...

Eric "Herbie" Watson likes this.
  5. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

That is the transition. We all have had stuff like that...Anxiety, feeling bummed, latent emotions. Mine was unbearable rage and grief. As most of the stuff that provoked these happened awhile ago (sometimes years) this is when it is a good time to look into spiritual support. Now that the TMS isn't covering up stuff we can finally deal with it....even if that only means acknowledgement.
    A lot of times simply identifying it is sufficient. THAT is when I usually break out a pen and paper... I don't 'journal' but I do write detailed checklists of emotional and personal stuff so it doesn't need to get hidden behind a symptom.... that and keeping current with NEW anxiety and anger provokers.
    Remember Sarno's ultimate goal was to PREVENT symptoms from starting... he didn't treat pain, by his own admission.

you are on your way to freedom!

6. savasana

savasana Peer Supporter

You do not feel anxiety in your mind. It’s impossible. Anxiety is a body sensation. Emotions exist in the body not the mind. Feel the anxiety in your body and allow it to be there. Eventually it will pass.

Eric "Herbie" Watson, plum and nowa like this.
  7. tgirl

tgirl Well known member

I suppose you don’t have to have symptom imperative in order to have TMS? In other words is it possible to experience physical symptoms and severe anxiety at once? I’ve frequently read on this forum that at times, one symptom will leave only to be replaced by another. I could say that has been true for me, but the symptom might take literally years to go away, then in the future something else will pop up. If my physical symptoms increase, I freak out and my anxiety goes through the roof, so it’s as if one symptom leads to another concurrent symptom rather than replacing it. I’m reading Clair Weekes, and am trying to curb this response. So I am working on it!

8. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I read that book awhile back when I was going through more severe anxiety.

9. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

did you find it helpful?

Goldy likes this.
  10. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Sweetheart, the book is a goldmine of common sense and compassion. I highly recommend listening to it over reading because Claire is in a league of her own; charming, challenging, caring and so incisive. A rare soul. It’ll also help with understanding the nuances of TMS, and more importantly, how to deal with the beast.

Plum x

nowa likes this.
  11. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I actually used to carry it in my purse when I was going through anxiety. I gave it away awhile ago to someone going through anxiety. I'm afraid it's going to bring up some bad memories for me because I was in a bad place emotionally when I used to read it.

12. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thanks Plum, I have ordered the cd, which is quite hard to find, I had to order it from Australia...
    Nowa x

plum likes this.
  13. Goldy

Goldy Peer Supporter

I remember reading it a lot, so I would say yes.

nowa likes this.
  14. plum

plum Beloved Grand Eagle

Yes, I recall how much trouble I had sourcing a cd by Dr. Weekes for my mum. I had to find a seller abroad too. (You can buy the audiobooks on iTunes but this was no help for my mum. She has nothing to do with the internet.)

Meantime these forum links have some audio generously posted by @Eric "Herbie" Watson. His posts are an absolute goldmine and are worth exploring.

https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/claire-weekes-audio.2569/ (Claire Weekes Audio)

Plum x

15. nowa

nowa Peer Supporter

Thank you for posting that wonderful link...

Nowa x

16. Aimee88

Aimee88 Well known member

I have some books by Claire Weekes, and often think of her clear and sensible concepts about anxiety. I got the books to help others. I'm only now realising that I have had anxiety and have been helped by what I read, because I have had anxiety, too. Weird to say it like that, but really, before, I thought I was just learning to help others. I would have never said before that I had anxiety. New awarenesses. Thank you.