1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Worse for Now, feel alone.

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by MWsunin12, Feb 2, 2016.

1. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi. I found this forum about 6 months ago, when I had pelvic pain. After being checked out, and scared by doctors for no reason, I decided to believe 100% it was psychological. The pain faded in 3 weeks.

Now, I'm on a work deadline and having literally the worst nerve pain I've ever felt, from my spine, over my shoulder and shooting pain down arm, elbow and into the hand.
    I haven't been able to sleep for 4 days straight. My head is floating and my torso is screaming!
    I had a short respite last night from the pain and was so happy, thinking I was turning a corner, but then late at night the pain jacked back up and has lasted through today. Non-stop.

I read the Sarno books about nerve pain and that it's TMS, but I can't get both feet in with TMS because it hurts so, so bad.

What if the pain is constant? How do you keep believing?

Marcia

2. Hen

Hen Peer Supporter

I've had a setback myself. If you had success with your pain fading before it will again! Maybe the work pressure that you dealing with is increasing your symptoms? I know that situational things increase my pain. Ive read on these forums and in several books that questioning your symptoms (i do this too!) is causing them to stay around and that asking yourself those types of questions-like what if the pain is constant is a form of inner bullying. Try to repeat affirmations to yourself. I've been saying "I'm pain free", "I'm not hampered by pain", and "I control my thoughts and emotions" from Alan Gordon's program.

You are going to be OK!!!! Breath. Focus on your breath. WE can do this! We can! I believe in it and I believe in you!

Simplicity and Forest like this.
  3. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

Nicely said, Hen.
    Marcia, when you had your success before, were you working through the SEP? I've found it to be incredibly powerful-- not only because of the great TMS resources I encountered, but also because it led me to work through some painful issues.
    Hang in there! You've become pain free before, and you can do it again!

Simplicity and MWsunin12 like this.
  4. Forest

Forest Beloved Grand Eagle

Heya, Marcia,

One thing that may help you to stay positive is remembering that if the pain is fluctuating then that means that it is very likely TMS. If you think about it, real damage doesn't fluctuate like that or move. Obviously, as Dr. Sarno emphasizes, you'll want to run any new symptoms by a doctor to rule out anything serious.

This is great news, because TMS is something that people can generally overcome. It may feel like cool comfort when you are in pain, but if you focus on that, it may help you overcome your fear and other emotions surrounding the pain. Attaining some level of equanimity like this is crucial for recovering. If your mind is a maelstrom of emotions, your body will reflect that.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    Simplicity likes this.
  5. breakfree

breakfree Peer Supporter

Hi MWsunin12

I am really sorry your in such pain right now, I know just how bad the pain can get (I've been on Morphine for the last 12 years for my pain) so I really do know how bad the tms pain can be!

First of all look at YOUR EVIDENCE = '' I decided to believe 100% it was psychological. The pain faded in 3 weeks''
    When you truely believed your pain DID fade, that IS TRUE Evidence :)

Secondly you said ''Now, I'm on a work deadline and having literally the worst nerve pain I've ever felt,''
    So, your under a great deal of STRESS, a deadline AND work - two MASSIVE pressures !!

Maybe try this...

Write down WHY you are stressed
    i.e. the work is hard / the deadline is too tight / I don't feel I can accomplish the task ect ect

then take EACH answer you've written, and try to find a POSITIVE there aswell, and WRITE that down too
    i.e. The work is hard - but if I manage to complete it, it will show my boss how skilled I am
    or
    the deadline is too tight - yes its tight, but I believe, that if I put my mind to it, I could manage it.
    or
    I don't feel I can do it - I DO feel/think I can do it

Perhaps the positivity might just be enough, to CALM your mind, and DISTRACT your mind (from your pain)
    JUST long enough for you to complete your task.

You also said ''What if the pain is constant? How do you keep believing? ''
    My pain has almost been constant for 12 years - BUT when I am HONEST with myself, there have been moments when it got a little better for a time, or the odd day over the years, when it hasn't been as bad - and this is my evidence
    Have you done a 'Evidence Sheet' ?
    I keep beliving because (no matter how small) I have seen change with my pain, wether it's increasing/decreasing/moving/changing/new 'symptom's ect I HAVE seen change, and that change IS the PROOF !! Much like, when you 100% believed, your pain fadded ;)

Also, I have started to welcome my pain, I used to concentrate on it (giving my subconscious exactly what it wanted)
    So I don't anymore, I just sort of say to myself
    ''hello pain, your back again, to REMIND me there's still something bothering me,something I haven't dealt with, or some emotion I have hidden/not allowed myself to feel''

and then I MOVE, which ever part of me is hurting I move purposely (I used to do ALOT of staying still in FEAR of hurting myself even more) but - not anymore, I move regardless, it sends a message to the brain, that I will not be intimidated by the pain anymore, I no longer FEAR it - I ACCEPT/WELCOME it ... its a really hard thing to learn to do - and I would of NEVER thought before, that I COULD push through it, but I have and I am still doing it (Im doing it right now !!)

Al lthe best xx

Forest likes this.
  6. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Marcia, I can only echo the great advice from the others who replied to you. It takes a lot of will power and determination to believe 100 percent in TMS causing your pain, but as Forest says, the fact that it moves around is proof that it is caused by TMS, repressed emotions that Dr. Sarno says go from anger to rage in our minds. Try not to worry... your pain is not going to get worse or last forever, not if you keep telling yourself you are going to heal and that will happen because you will discover your harmful emotions. You don't have to solve any emotional problems, just admit you have them and what they are. The your subconscious will stop sending you pain.

7. MWsunin12

MWsunin12 Beloved Grand Eagle

Dear forum friends,

Your kind words mean the world. thank you.
    After 5 days of constant pain, I went to my GP yesterday. She thought an impinged nerve and gave me a muscle relaxer. It didn't help at all.
    I felt so defeatist. Then, during the night, rash and blisters formed on my right arm.
    My partner took me to emergency room. Turns out to be shingles. I've never had them.
    A shot of morphine for pain, helped the back, not the stomach. Wow! don't understand that appeal at all. Also, viral blocker drugs and pain killers for home.
    Anyway, here's proof that you shouldn't "pursue through" severe pain that isn't diagnosed first. My bad.

Lesson learned. But, still think it's TMS related to unresolved stress and resentment.

Many thanks, again.

Back to bed I go, but wanted to update all of you for your thoughtfulness.

peace,

Marcia

8. David88

David88 Well known member

Wow, Marcia, that's a lot to go through all at once.

It's something we should remember -- get new symptoms checked out before assuming TMS.

I hope you feel better soon.

Simplicity and Forest like this.
  9. Simplicity

Simplicity Guest

I second what David (and Forest) said; it's important to check with a doctor.

Feel better, Marcia.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 4, 2016
    Forest likes this.
  10. Gigi

Gigi Well known member

So sorry to hear about the shingles. They can be very painful. I know!
    Sending you blessings and wishes for healing...