1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 3 wrecked my knee in soccer

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by SB, Feb 4, 2013.

1. SB

SB Peer Supporter

Question To Ponder
    When was the last time you exercised or did another physical activity? What was this activity? How did it make you feel physically and emotionally? If it is has been a while since you last exercised, why?

The last time I played soccer was 9/11/2011--the day that I busted my knee in a collision with the goalie. I was running fast toward the ball, and so was he, and when we got close to each other, I stopped, but he didn't. He tackled my leg, tearing the ACL, PCL, MCL, and lateral meniscus. It was extremely painful, and my lower leg was twisted improperly... it was so gross that I wouldn't have been able to look at it even if I weren't writhing from pain. :eek:

I don't know whether I'll ever be able to forgive him (and I don't know who he was). I hate jerks like that. Certain athletes are just that way--they get so serious about the game that they don't mind ruining people's lives along the way.

My injury has taken more than a year to recover from and put strain on my career, my relationship, my health, my social life, and more. It makes me so mad to think that people do this sort of damage and don't think twice about it and don't feel bad about it. :mad:

I recently started jogging again, but since the pain isn't completely gone, and since my last doctor visit revealed that my ligaments are "loose", it makes me nervous to think about playing soccer or basketball again soon. :confused:

2. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

sbrodson:

Interesting post as I too feel some doubt about exercising some days. I've been back to the gym and pretty much pain free for a month when I pushed too hard and had some pain symptoms return last week. Of course that threw me into the spin cycle again and I felt very depressed. My friends on the wiki jumped in and helped, AGAIN (I am so greatful for this forum) and now I am fine. That said I haven't really gone for a "run" for over a week now and choose to do other cardio and go for long walks through the woods which has been fun with the snow here in PA.

The thing is, and this takes a while to sink in, is that one needs to believe there is nothing wrong with their body to truly win the TMS battle and heal. For me, it seems that I can only change those neuropathways by doing.

If you truly have a structural injury, loose ligaments, it's probably not TMS. It was helpful for me to see a TMS MD for a diagnosis.

Best,
    Susan

3. SB

SB Peer Supporter

Thanks, Susan. How/where were you able to find a doctor who knows about TMS? Thanks!

4. Explorer

Explorer Well known member

sbrodson - you can find a list of TMS MD's on this website. I saw Dr. Paul Gwozdz who was wonderful. He is located in Somerset, NJ. I drove three hours to see him and was so happy that I did. Some how getting a TMS diagnosis from an MD really helped in my healing.

Medical doctors made me feel that I was broken some how. Seeing him made me believe I've gone from broken to better. I still have work to do. Re-training the mind takes time. :)

Best of luck,
    Susan

5. SB

SB Peer Supporter

Thanks!