1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (***NOTE*** now on US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with Steve2 as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

You should never try to explain about TMS

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by IndiMarshall, Jul 6, 2015.

1. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

On my FB there is young girl 21 yrs old.. who is suffering from Sciatica for a long time now.
    she is in deep depression and sounds very suicidal . ..
    I thought I shouldn't tell her about TMS as not everyone are open to the idea.

I felt I should help this girl afer seeing her FB updates for many months .
    Yesterday I explained her about TMS and she removed me from her Friends list lolll..

I can recall a sentence said by Micheal Brown (Presence process), 'Being nice is the worst thing'.

All I can pray is .. Hope she gets better.. whatever path she chooses.

2. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

Good for you for trying to help! Don't take it personally, I mention TMS dispassionately. When a friend of SteveO, gave him a copy of Sarno, he read a few pages, then threw it across the room! I buy cheap used copies of Dr. Sarno's first little paperback, "MIND OVER BACKPAIN", and hand it out to occasional sufferers. Out of about a hundred people I've mentioned Sarno to, about two accepted it and recovered--that's a pretty high average. As a recovering goodist, I don't proselytize TMS very hard, people are ready for it or they aren't--you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink.

Boston Redsox and Laudisco like this.
  3. IndiMarshall

IndiMarshall Well known member

True ....I didn't expect her to read too but I didn't expect her to remove me from friends list :) for telling her something good.

4. IrishSceptic

IrishSceptic Podcast Visionary

Yep I've learned this lesson. there is one guy though and I've persevered as he is in really bad straights. I've sent him the DVD/audiobook and told him I won't speak to him ever again unless he at least watches and listens. if it doesn't work it doesn't work but I can't stand people not even trying

Fernando likes this.
  5. 575

575 Peer Supporter

I guess people who refuse to learn about TMS didn't suffer enough yet.

IrishSceptic, Fernando and Tennis Tom like this.
  6. James59

James59 Well known member

The problem is that people with chronic problems are inundated with unsolicited advice, most of it garbage. After awhile you get fed up with it and dismiss it all.

IrishSceptic and Tennis Tom like this.
  7. Anne Walker

Anne Walker Beloved Grand Eagle

Well, I feel a little differently. I introduce the idea of TMS whenever I can. I only speak about it in terms of my own personal success and I do not expect an immediate response. But I believe it is good to expose people to the idea. There is so much needless suffering. I try not to diagnose anyone, I can see why they might get defensive about that. But if I say that I was in chronic pain for many years and finally figured out why, I can't see how anyone can get offended by that.

Grateful17 likes this.
  8. Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021)

Walt Oleksy (RIP 2021) Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi, Anne. You do the right thing by telling others about TMS. Whether they accept it or not is up to them. I hate losing friends for any reason,
    so I stay away from politics or religion. But I believe in spreading the word about TMS. Most of the time, it falls on deaf ears. But who knows when, later, they open their ears and try TMS.

9. Tennis Tom

Tennis Tom Beloved Grand Eagle

I just gave a copy of the Good Doctor's book to a hypnotherapist today and she was very receptive. It was Dr. Sarno's first book "MIND OVER BACK PAIN". I buy them used cheap on Amazon for 1 cent plus $3.99 shipping. It's short and small and as far as I'm concerned has everything in it to anyone who accepts psychosomatic causality for chronic pain. If they NEED more "scientific proof" for TMS, then they will need to spend a lot more money to be convinced and hear it from an "expert".

I once gave a copy to a nice lady in my building's laundry room, who I would bump into because her laundry room was too busy. After giving her a copy of Sarno, I never saw her in there again, seeing her in passing now she avoids eye contact. I was kinda' surprised by her reaction, since she seem superficially to be so "new agey". I assume she must have been insulted at the insinuation that it could all be "in her head". That's OK, she's married anyway and I don't need any dramas.

tt/lsmft

10. IrishSceptic

Who will be the 100th monkey?

Brevity likes this.
  11. IrishSceptic

whilst the 100th monkey effect could be used to push any mumbo jumbo, I believe TMS will eventually find its way into the mainstream in some guise via the wisdom of the crowd and the power of critical mass.

Reza2kn likes this.