1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

TMS therapists

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by patrickj, Sep 22, 2023.

1. patrickj

patrickj Well known member

Hi

I’ve had sessions with 2 different TMS therapists and each time got 0% better.

I know as much about TMS as they do, despite never recovering after 3 years of trying mind body approach.

Do I give up working with therapists now?

I have the Curable App which is good, although not made me any better.

Tempted to try Jim Prussack but he’s £130 a session. Rather steep.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Hey Patrick,

I'm sincerely glad to know you're still trying, but given your history that we know about, starting from when you joined (I think it was last fall) I'm not sure how to answer your question. Nonetheless, it's a serious one, and it deserves serious consideration. I have thoughts, but you're probably sick of hearing from me, so let's open it up to others before I stick my oar in. I do suggest, however, that people familiarize themselves with your threads from, say, before March? Otherwise you will likely receive what you might consider to be basic advice that you've heard many times before. It's still typically good advice, but I know from experience that it's not what you want to hear, so it's not a good use of anyone's time.

3. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

https://www.therapytoday.com/resistance-the-crippled-self-istdp-and-a-path-to-freedom/ (Therapy Today)https://www.therapytoday.com/resistance-the-crippled-self-istdp-and-a-path-to-freedom/ (Therapy Today)https://www.therapytoday.com/resistance-the-crippled-self-istdp-and-a-path-to-freedom/ (Therapy Today)

There is so much unconscious resistance and non commitment in your posts that your best bet may be an ISTDP therapist. There are also thought conceptualizations that are creating huge roadblocks to progress here. One is the excuse of finances. While I very much understand that severe financial limitations is a real thing, I think doubt is using this as a way of you sabotaging yourself. In order for helpers to continue helping people they need to make a living as well. It's not just the hour they spend with you on the phone. There is so much work, time and investment outside of that (cost of trainings, time spent before and after sessions on notes and all sort of other things...emails and phone calls to other practitioners the client is working with as well as family members sometimes, supervision etc. And then there are the taxes .). I don't know Jim personally but considering his level of experience, what he is charging is quite reasonable and tells me a lot. Doubt often attacks the relationship with helpers and leads to questions like "what if they are just doing this for money?", "what if they really don't care if people get better?", "what if they secretly don't like me?" When doubt and other cognitive distortions takes over it can lead to self protective aggression which only hurts you. No one is going to want to work with a client like that (except maybe an ISTDP one lol!). So that's my tough love. I would invite you to recognize that you have to do the work and commit. Complaining on message boards and attacking the system or the practitioners and their rates will get you nowhere.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I am 100% in agreement with everything @miffybunny says, @Patrick. This is so insightful, and it's clear she has made an effort and spent quality time getting to know your story.

I don't have significant knowledge about ISTDP but I have seen many positive references and strong recommendations, from many people who said it was a real game-changer. And if you need anything, it's a game-changer. Whatever the cost. You have to believe that your quality of life is worth it.

My two words for you have, for quite a while, boiled down to:
    Resistance
    Victimhood

It looks like resistance is addressed in the article and by ISTDP.

@miffybunny has had the bravery to say that there are simply some patients that nobody wants to work with. This is where Victimhood comes in.

Victimhood is incredibly negative. It's obstructive to success in life, and it's destructive to all relationships. In my personal life I avoid victim personalities as if they carry the plague. That avoidance obviously doesn't apply here, because this is not a social setting, and politely listening to self-destructive BS is not the way to go.

Patrick, I sincerely believe this is one of your biggest roadblocks. If not THE roadblock. Your goal must be to figure out - from your childhood of course - how victimhood became your default personality trait. I honestly don't know how you can save your life otherwise.

Tough love, baby. Always.

~Jan

Last edited: Sep 24, 2023
    Ellen and miffybunny like this.