1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

A Mindbody Approach to Protracted Withdrawal Syndrome [Video]

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by gustav f., Jun 28, 2023.

1. gustav f.

gustav f. New Member

Hi everyone! The ideas of John Sarno saved my life—in more ways than one.

Back what feels like a lifetime ago, I suffered from both chronic pain (all over my body) and “protracted withdrawal syndrome” from psychiatric drugs (many frightening sensations). It felt really hopeless because I had two overwhelming problems with no solutions in sight.

But eventually I came across a convincing video by Howard Schubiner that introduced me to The Mindbody Syndrome and it completely changed my life. (I had come across TMS previously but always rejected it.) But this time I thought, here is my solution to chronic pain. And it was. Through my understanding of Sarno’s mindbody approach my years of debilitating pain finally disappeared. But that’s not all that happened. To my surprise, withdrawal sensations started fading away at the exact same time. I then intentionally used a TMS approach on withdrawal sensations to finish them off. More than that, it’s my understanding of The Mindbody Syndrome that I’ve come to understand why I experienced the scary sensations that made me susceptible to psychiatrists’ dens in the first place.

I have also learned that I’m not the first person to use a TMS approach for “protracted withdrawal.” Others have had success as well. It therefore seems that more people could benefit from knowing about this, especially since this mindbody approach rarely reaches those of us coming off psychiatric drugs. So I made I video.

What I do in the video is basically take the TMS approach for pain and adapt to withdrawal. I’d note that due to the lack of scientific knowledge on “protracted withdrawal”, this adaptation comes with significant simplifications and limitations. But for a mindbody approach, I think, it’s the psychological concepts that matter the most.

The following video then is partly my own success story and partly self-help for those interested in learning more about using a TMS for “protracted withdrawal.” Maybe this might resonate with someone at the right time in their life.

2. JaneSandyJane

JaneSandyJane Peer Supporter

thank you for posting! I'm so glad you found wellness!!

3. gustav f.

gustav f. New Member

Thank you! I also saw your story and I'm happy for you as well!

4. HopeSpringsEternal

HopeSpringsEternal New Member

Dearest Gustav,
    I have spent many days and nights listening to your presentation and it has been life changing. Only someone such as yourself can know the darkness of tms disguising it's self as protracted withdrawal. I'm still trying to work it all out. The mind is more powerful than I originally thought.
    I had no withdrawal symptoms until being off lorazepam for 4 weeks. However, I'm honestly viewing it as a Symptom Imperative, as my chronic fatigue/me/ibs dissolves, other stuff {fear based},comes up. My "withdrawal" by the way has very similar structure to symptoms I had after intense panic, and the neurological elements in chronic fatigue/me.
    'The best physician is one's self.'
    Best,
    Pilar

jdoro and JanAtheCPA like this.
  5. gustav f.

gustav f. New Member

Hi Pilar,

Well said and thank you kindly for your message. The power of the mind is really extraordinary and the symptom imperative is certainly a sign of that. On occasion I still have the odd thing pop up and I gently remind myself of all I’ve learned from Sarno and co. It’s saved my life.

I wish you the best as well.
    You can do it.

Gustav

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  6. ChristopherJ34

ChristopherJ34 New Member

@gustav f. - is it possible to connect with you regarding your video (I am almost finished..it’s awesome) and your website about unlearning protracted wd. I am hoping I am a candidate but needed some help navigating the landscape to find the right resources