1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Addicted to this forum: good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Diana-M, Apr 18, 2024.

1. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Ok, so I know I am addicted to this forum. It’s just so comforting. And I feel like I’ve found my people. Your wisdom is the best! I am thinking of restricting myself to only so many days/week. Am I making too big of a deal out of this? Has anyone else ever felt addicted here?

2. Tmswarrior32

Tmswarrior32 New Member

I’m In The same boat! I think us tmsers obsess too much which is how symptoms stay. Probably best to not be on here once we get the knowledge but I find it hard not to log in lol

Baseball65 and Diana-M like this.
  3. Diana-M

Maybe we are just excited at first. It’s such a great resource! But then we simmer down. :) What is your story, @Tmswarrior32?

Baseball65 likes this.
  4. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

The TMS approach is not supported in any way by 99.9% of the information that is out there. So participation in this Forum is one of only a handful of ways to strengthen our knowledge and belief, so it fills an important void. That said, excess and obsession is never healthy. But you are the only one who can determine when you've crossed that line. It's good that you are being mindful of this.

5. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

If you were just reading and contributing to the forums and not doing any TMS work then that wouldn't be a good thing (as the TMSing brain loves distractions) but that's not the case as I saw in another thread all the TMS work that you listed that you are doing on a daily basis. I'd view it that the support and encouragement you are getting and appreciating from the forums is lighting the way to your recovery. There's such a lot of information on the Wiki/forums so it's not surprising that you want to visit frequently, particularly at the start of your 'journey' to becoming symptom free. As you're aware that you could possibly become addicted, I think that you're likely to realise if/when it's becoming an actual problem and thus when it's time to visit less often or to take a break. I took a very long break a while back when I found myself getting embroiled in some heavy and difficult conversations/exchanges and realised that I was wasting so much time doing that (like I said, the TMSing brain simply loves distractions!) and I was not getting on with experimenting and finding what works for me.

JanAtheCPA, Diana-M and Cap'n Spanky like this.
  6. Cap'n Spanky

Cap'n Spanky Well known member

I agree with the others. It's a good thing if you're using it to reinforce and deepen your understanding of TMS concepts. We're social creatures and it's only natural to be around like-minded individuals.

There are times when it could be a problem and it's not too hard to spot certain people who are stuck in the same loop over and over again.

7. Diana-M

@BloodMoon, I think you are right. It is definitely keeping me excited and working at it. Thanks for your input here!

JanAtheCPA and BloodMoon like this.
  8. Diana-M

@Cap'n Spanky, yes! We are social creatures, and healing in groups is one of the best ways to heal. Thank you!

Cap'n Spanky and JanAtheCPA like this.
  9. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

When I first found this forum I was addicted as well. Understanding TMS was working for me and I wanted to share my discoveries. It helped validate things for me. I was over-posting and likely annoying people but it was useful for me. After awhile I drifted away. Now I come back from time to time. It's like getting booster shots for a vaccine. :)

BloodMoon, Diana-M and JanAtheCPA like this.
  10. Booble

@Diana-M, I was thinking about this this morning and how the forum is like a life-line on a boat. When we first find the forum and or Sarno and if it resonates with us, it's like being thrown a life ring when we are in the ocean drowning. The forum then helps you hang on and pulls you back up into the boat.
    Sometimes we start to fall overboard again and the forum and everyone in it helps us get back up.

11. Diana-M

@Booble, I love this image! It is so true.

12. Booble

Right? So I think we shouldn't worry too much about initially holding onto the lifeline but in time it would be good to climb up to the boat.

BloodMoon, JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.