1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Anxiety/Depression

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Mrpine, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

Hi…l suffer from anxiety which has also developed into depression. Can TMS help me with this. I’ve been reading Dr. Sarno’s books and other literature on TMS. There isn’t a lot written on this topic unless I haven’t found the appropriate author so far. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    Mrpine

2. hecate105

hecate105 Beloved Grand Eagle

I found 'Molecules of Emotion' was a really helpful book - just for understanding how our internal chemical reactions work - our emotions....!
    Its by Candace Pert.

TG957 likes this.
  3. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

Thanks, hecate105. Will look into it. Stay well.
    Mrpine

4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

5. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

Thanks, Jan. Every post that l read gives me a strategy to use and l really, really appreciate that. Yours are very inspiring as are the others. Thanks, all. Stay well and l’ll keep this threat posted about how my journey is going. Very happy to have met you.
    Mrpine

6. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

I was encouraged in the lessons to post what is most prevalent in my journaling…there are two things which stand out.
    Firstly is my anxiety. I am a very anxious person and have been most of my life. It has now almost, and l repeat almost, taken over but l am in the process of getting it more under control.
    Secondly, it is obvious to me that l am a perfectionist. I need to modify this character trait as it is not fair to my family and friends who are closest to me. No one is perfect and l have to change my attitude in this approach to family and friends. This has to…and will change with help from the other members of this panel and those who l have the pleasure to associate with daily.
    Thanks for reading my submission and any suggestions and / or publications that would guide me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Mrpine

7. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Perfectionism has many deep roots. Mostly it is because of the need to control something when you feel you can’t control things within yourself or you feel those things ( like feeling emotions) are not safe. It can be a sign of poor self worth.
    I like how you say “modify”, because a softening of attitude and an observance of how you use perfectionism is so helpful to your being able to curb it where it isn’t serving you.
    Dr. Schubiner has a book specifically geared towards dealing with anxiety. It’s a work book. I have not used it, but have used his chronic pain book.

TG957 and JanAtheCPA like this.
  8. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

Thanks, Cactusflower. I will look into Dr. Scubiner’s workbook.
    Mrpine

9. fredZ9

fredZ9 Newcomer

Thanks, hecate105 for recommendation, I will surely read this book:)

10. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

I am having difficulty wrapping my head around TMS, but l do think that l am making progress. It is so different from how l have lead my life, but that doesn’t mean that l won’t be successful. If there is someone out there who also had a bit of trouble getting started and possibly still is, maybe we can help each other through this process. I will continue my path to recovery as l know anything worthwhile sometimes takes a lot of time, but is worth the effort that it takes. Thanks.
    Mrpine

11. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

I am writing again as part of the daily program but more so because l want to and like to stay in contact with others in the same or similar position that l am in and anyone else who is/or has suffered from chronic pain.
    I have found all the success stories very inspiring and l really admire anyone who would be willing to lay their problems , and in some cases their private thoughts, for all to see to help other people. Thank you all for being so open and frank and l will follow your examples as l make my way to ultimate success in my path to healing. Thanks again for all your stories, your advice, and your reading suggestions to help me along.
    This is for Cactusflower. Thanks for your suggestion concerning Dr. Schubiner’s workbook dealing with TMS and anxiety. I ordered it yesterday. Thanks again.
    Mrpine

fredZ9 likes this.
  12. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

Since starting this program, l have noticed that l am more forgiving of people who l had come into contact with in the past and that l am less judgemental of others in my life and those people who l come into contact with daily. I have come to the realization that we are all on this journey together and being critical of people, even silently, is not conducive to my healing process from my anxiety and to overall good mental health.
    I have also reaffirmed my opinion what a strong, intelligent person my wife is. She has kept me on the right track and doesn’t “baby” me, but treats me like l believe a loving spouse should with gentleness at times and firmness when needed. She is wonderful and l love her. Thanks for reading my submission and feel free to comment on anything that l have written.
    Mrpine

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  13. Mrpine

Mrpine Newcomer

I don’t think any part of TMS is silly, but l do find it quite hard to wrap my heads around the fact that l can heal myself. I have seen many doctors, psychiatrists, and other “health care people” (acupuncturist, chiropractors, naturopaths, and psychologists) who haven’t really done much of anything except give me temporary relief and have cost me $1000’s. I see TMS as a very plausible condition and am going to continue to work on this approach to my health care. I really shouldn’t “lump” my psychologist into this group of “non-effective” providers as she introduced me to Mindfullness and has given me strategies to help me cope w/ my anxiety.
    I am going to take some time off from this program to exercise more and watch a few videos on TMS recovery techniques and information. Thanks for your time.
    Mrpine

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  14. 7dani4

7dani4 Peer Supporter

What kind of anxiety do you have? I've dealt with social anxiety and general anxiety for years, and always thought it was the reason for my TMS related pain, but never something I could heal as it's emotional, not physical pain.