1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Article about building Resilience

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by JanAtheCPA, Dec 12, 2023.

Tags:
  1. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

This is so on point with our work.
    https://www.vox.com/even-better/23988269/how-to-be-more-resilient-stress-management?ueid=404242780c83798c77e648cb82587d3c (Resilience is invaluable in tough times. Here’s how to build it.)
    Vox is one of my favorite news sources. They operate by donations, so you won't hit a paywall. Worth supporting IMHO. Anyway, here's an excerpt:

The first step to becoming more resilient is to understand how your brain works. When you’re stressed, your amygdala, the part of your brain that handles fear, is activated, and you have a fight-or-flight response. “When you say to someone, ‘I’m so anxious, I can’t think straight,’ that’s actually your biology,” Marques says. “You can’t think straight because your prefrontal cortex is offline.” Instead of immediately reacting, Marques recommends that you recognize your emotional response to stress and take a pause. “That’s our superpower that we don’t use enough,” she says.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  2. BagelSchnitzel

BagelSchnitzel Peer Supporter

Thanks for sharing,

I loved this bit

"“My grandmother would call that being the water, not the rock,” she says. “When change happens, some of us become stuck, like the rock. The opposite is being the water. You flow around the change.”"

I need to be more water for sure, let things flow.

JanAtheCPA likes this.