1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Avoiding people or stressful situations

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Nicholina, Sep 30, 2024 at 10:46 PM.

1. Nicholina

Nicholina New Member

My sisters wedding is next month. I have not spoken my father in 6 months as I’ve been working through unresolved anger that I believe is contributing to my back pain. The pain resolved over the summer but has now returned in the past week.
    Should I not attend the wedding to avoid having to see my father and potentially worsen the symptoms? Or do I go and face my emotions?

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

I think the criteria for going should be about your sister's special day. Will you regret not attending? Your father is not the cause of your symptoms. Your feelings about him may play a role in the onset of tms, and you may need to resolve things with your father or within yourself about your father, but attending the wedding has nothing to do with your symptoms. Would you go if there was no tms in the picture? That's the question of which your answer should be based.

Diana-M likes this.
  3. Nicholina

Nicholina New Member

I think I would regret not going even though my sister told me she would understand and cares more about my wellbeing than my being there.

Yes, I would definitely go if TMS were not in the picture. I feel sad my life feels so small and limited right now. Does that mean I should go?

4. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

We make decisions based on our hearts desires and what we need to do, not what symptoms are doing, If we let symptoms dictate, then we are being tricked by the tms strategy. The only way to teach the brain that you are fine is to actually believe that and behave in a way that a person who is fine would behave. So, you already answered your question.

Diana-M and Cactusflower like this.
  5. Nicholina

Nicholina New Member

Thank you so much for this response. This is all new to me. I’m going to go to the ceremony at the very least! I want to be there for my sister on her wedding day.

miffybunny likes this.
  6. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

I’m busted by this! I’m still letting my symptoms bully me around.

Nicholina, BloodMoon and miffybunny like this.
  7. Nicholina

Nicholina New Member

Happy to report I went and had a great time! No Symptom flares at all. Thank you all for the encouragement

Cactusflower, Diana-M and Baseball65 like this.