1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Big breakthroughs and worsening symptoms! GERD/Anxiety/Back pain

Discussion in 'Support Subforum' started by Grateful, Sep 10, 2024.

1. Grateful

Grateful Newcomer

Hi Everyone

I decided to rejoin this wiki. I have been reading case studies recently and then realised I needed to share with people who understand!

I discovered Sarno's work in 2004/2005 and used it to overcome shin splints. Since then I have used it successfully with knee pain, shoulder pain, urinary tract symptoms, severe fatigue and back pain. In most cases just remembering about TMS was enough to shift things and improvement to set in. However, I still feel as though I am bouncing between 'conditions' almost waiting for the next inconvenience to arise but usually it is minor.

More recently however my lower back pain has become more regular again, especially after exercise. I told myself initially it was my new trainers but they are no longer new and I think now it is TMS. I also had four weeks of severe fatigue earlier this summer, that was taking over my life but I just told my body to stop it, reread Sarno and went out for a run and it cleared quickly.

The last few weeks the back pain has become more consistent and three weeks ago I was woken in the night by bad chest pain. I look up the symptoms - acid reflux/GERD. I have never had this before. I feel as though my brain is really upping the stakes! Sometimes I feel as though the symptoms are diminishing then they come back and lots of fear arises.

This has come at a time of increased visibility and responsibility in my spiritual and work life. It is all positive, deeply meaningful stuff BUT I know there are parts of me raging about it. I am also undergoing Internal Family Systems therapy, using Nicole Sachs 'Journal Speak' along with somatic tracking and loving-kindness.

Interestingly, through the journaling I have had a breakthrough about my early life and how TMS has been a feature of it since primary school when 'being ill' enabled me to stay safely at home with my Mum. I also realised that one of the most devastating events in my life (having an appendicitis that then led to depression, causing me to drop out of medical school) was actually TMS in action. The surgeon remarked that although I was clearly in pain there was nothing wrong with the appendix when they removed it. That has always puzzled me. Now I know TMS was saving me from being at medical school, where I was being bullied and deeply unhappy but I never wanted to acknowledge. TMS took the decision out of my hands!

So basically it's a rich time in my life, that some parts of me find very threatening. It would be much safer to shut me down and keep me small. Impacting my sleep via GERD seems to be the current TMS strategy.

It feels so good to share this! Thank you for reading.

If anyone has any GERD TMS tips or strategies for managing anxiety at night when symptoms wake you up I would love to hear them.

Wishing you all well in your recovery

G x

PS I will be off line 13th-27th September so may be delayed in responding

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. HealingMe

HealingMe Well known member

You’ve had success with your TMS in the past. Go ahead and treat it the same, with indifference. It will pass. Tell your brain you’ve got it from here, you can feel your emotions, and it can knock it off. Don’t panic. Continue on with your life.

I had heartburn/acid reflux or whatever you want to call it last month (a very very old symptom from many years ago during a very stressful career time in my life) it almost got me, but I carried on. It lasted a couple weeks and calmed down. I treated it the same as my other symptoms.

Diana-M and Grateful like this.
  3. Grateful

Grateful Newcomer

Thank you HealingMe. I need to hear this as much as possible. I may print it out and put it on my fridge!!

4. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Hi @Grateful

I’d journal about this.

See how well you know what to do? Just do this with all your TMS symptoms. Your TMS brain is going to keep trying to scare you with something new. It wants you to stop looking at your emotions. IFS is intense. You’re doing great work!

5. Grateful

Grateful Newcomer

Hi Diana

Thank you for taking the time to message. It's funny how I can read similar messages on other forums but because your message is 'to me' it has more impact. I really needed that encouragement.

Onwards!!!

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  6. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

This makes me smile. So glad I could help. That’s what so many folks have done for me here on the forum. You’re in good company. Onward, is right!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  7. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I will just add that my nighttime calming technique for anything is deep therapeutic breathing. Helps the reflux and other GI distress, any weird pains trying to get my negative attention, and any general wakefulness or anxiety.

Taking a few minutes to write down thoughts about your day is a great way to clear the mind for sleep, especially if you can find at least one thing from the day, no matter how small, for which you are grateful. Even better is if you can find something from the day that you appreciate about yourself. Or both!

8. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I have GERD when my anxiety increases. I simply acknowledge the anxiety, remind myself I am probably subconsciously enraged and remind myself that internal rage is acceptable even if I feel guilt or shame about it and move on with my day. At times I also need to repeat several times a day that although my emotions and the situation may make me think and feel I’m not safe, I am. Then I recount the ways I know I am safe - I have food, shelter, warmth, water. Plus a few other personal tools to remind me of my safety. And like you, I kindly tell my mind and body I’m aware and don’t need the symptom anymore.
    If it is severe, I take a medication for a few days and cut back on irritating foods and reminding myself this is temporary.