1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Can the brain cause the production of gas in the gut?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by bwestern, May 30, 2024.

1. bwestern

bwestern New Member

Hi,

Is anyone able to explain to me if/how the brain causes the production of gas in the gut?

I have been getting really bloated and gassy, and I have excessive flatulence that lasts for several hours on a daily basis. I struggle with anxiety and think this might be a TMS issue, however I'm unsure if the brain can actually cause the production of excessive gas.

Other symptoms I am experiencing include brain fog, fatigue and psoriasis - has anyone else experienced this combination of symptoms as a result of TMS?

Thanks

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Let's go back to basics and acknowledge that our brains and our bodies are completely connected and acting in unison at all times. It is a neuroscientific fact that every physiological process that takes place in our bodies, as well as every sensation that we experience in various locations in our bodies, are completely directed by brain processes. You can look this up. It's vital to understand this in order to embrace mindbody self-help and recovery.

Look up Phantom Limb Pain to learn for example, how this fact applies to the creation of absolutely real pain which is suffered by amputees in limbs that no longer exist, particularly due to severe trauma

We are admittedly still trying to fully understand why the brain makes this choice to create a symptom where there is literally no physiological reason for pain to exist. We just know that it does so, and that it is associated with the distress of trauma.

We also know that our brains are fully capable of creating any symptom, in an infinite variety of ways, where there does not seem to be a physiological purpose for doing so.

Digestive disturbances are high on this list and always have been throughout human history. Only the details vary between individuals.

Yes. Many people. You can do a forum keyword search and use the "more" options to limit your results to the Success Stories subforum. There will be more hits than you'll be able to read, so you can skim your results list to find the most relevant original stories.

If you haven't yet read a book by Dr John Sarno you actually need to start there. That's the most efficient way to get started. Because you have symptoms other than pain, probably The Mindbody Prescription.

BruceMC, Cactusflower and BloodMoon like this.
  3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Imo, the above should be a pinned 'sticky' somewhere prominent -- as it sums it all up so beautifully!

Last edited: May 31, 2024
    JanAtheCPA and Cactusflower like this.
  4. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thanks @BloodMoon! I guess I should add it to my personal collection of bookmarks.

It's a pretty long list at this point, containing my own posts as well as many from others. Maybe I'll go through them all someday and collate them into a comprehensive collection.

Or maybe not.
    :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::rolleyes:

BloodMoon likes this.
  5. AnnaO

AnnaO New Member

IBS is highly linked to stress and is driven by the brain. The stress response can lead to the accumulation of more gas in the gut because it disturbs the "rhythm" of the contractions of the digestive tract which can cause bloating, cramping, constipation, diarrhea, etc.

Also, with IBS the brain overreacts to the sensation of gas with excessive pain. Studies have found that people with IBS respond with more pain to the same amount of pressure in the intestines as people without IBS.

This is why both mind-body techniques that reduce our fear of the sensations are helpful (somatic tracking, etc.), as well as stress reduction techniques to help get us into a rest-and-digest state where digestion is working optimally. Hope this helps!

HealingMe likes this.