1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Chronic Fatigue and Brain-fog Success Story!

Discussion in 'Success Stories Subforum' started by PhillipAndr, Jul 19, 2024.

1. PhillipAndr

PhillipAndr Peer Supporter

It's incredible to think that I am finally writing this story :). It took a while, it was a hard journey but one that has helped me become closer to who I really am!

It all started once I got COVID. Gradually, I began losing my ability to do pretty much anything. Before COVID, I was an avid triathlete and weighed 10 kg more, all muscle. However, within a few months of contracting COVID, I lost those 10 kg and could barely walk. Physical activities were out of the question, and I had to spend long periods in bed to regain some energy. The situation worsened when I was made redundant from two jobs. Despite consulting over ten doctors, no one could offer any real help.

My daily life was severely affected. Simple tasks like cooking required frequent breaks, and the lack of physical activity led to depression and anxiety. I felt alone, as physical activity had always been a crucial part of my life. It took over two years, and I still feel I am recovering in some aspects. However, I can now swim, ride my bike, and do short weightlifting sessions. A key turning point was when I shifted my focus from just my physical body to my mind. Initially, I changed my diet and took numerous supplements, which helped, but it was the mental work, particularly through the TMS program, that accelerated my progress.

I tried numerous treatments, including traditional doctors, sauna detox, supplements, acupuncture, seeing a traditional psychologist, breathwork, and ice baths. However, working with my mind proved most effective. I immersed myself in books like "The Presence Process" by Michael Brown, "The Myth of Normal" and "When the Body Says No" by Gabor Maté, "No Bad Parts" by Richard Schwartz, and "Cured" by Jeff Rediger. During my recovery, I learned to slow down and understand what drove me to rush through life. Being gentle with myself and learning to be present were crucial. The books I mentioned played a significant role in this transformation.

Social connection was vital during my journey. My family and friends' support was essential, but I also learned to be my own best friend. This involved looking after my emotional self during crises. The journey was not linear. There were ups and downs, and it remains an ongoing experiment. The most significant turning point came when I started working with my mind through the TMS program, "The Presence Process," "No Bad Parts," and the "Compassionate Circles" by Gabor Maté. Since then, I have been on an upward trajectory.

Mental and emotional health played a crucial role in my recovery. Identifying my triggers and learning to regulate myself better were key strategies. Understanding the importance of staying in a calm state was something I had previously denied myself. Specific strategies and routines that helped me regain energy and strength included recognising when I was out of my parasympathetic state and regulating myself. Learning the value of being in a calm state was transformative.

Now, I feel hopeful and full of life! I am compassionate towards myself and others and excited about my new life. My advice to others facing similar challenges is to follow the TMS program—it truly works if you put in the effort in a gentle and compassionate way. Read the books I referenced, find a somatic therapist if possible, and engage in activities that help you tap into your body's wisdom, such as yoga, meditation, and tai chi. My recovery journey has been long and challenging, but it has also been incredibly rewarding. I hope my story can inspire others to persevere and find their path to recovery.

2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Thank you for posting your Success Story @PhillipAndr!

I always appreciated your posts, and to anyone reading this and wanting a good idea of how this journey can look, just click on @PhillipAndr's profile, and on his page choose the Postings tab, then "All threads by" at the bottom of the page. There aren't that many and they aren't that long.

Cheers and all the best!

~Jan

3. BloodMoon

BloodMoon Beloved Grand Eagle

Great to read your success story @PhillipAndr! Thank you for posting it.
    I'm considering doing The Presence Process, but don't have suitable bath in which to do the immersions... do you think they are essential? And I wonder, do you have any advice for someone like me about to start the Process? Many thanks in advance.