1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Circle Method for fostering curiosity and mind opening

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Cactusflower, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

This method addresses a few TMS type personality traits, and the traps of a TMS mind (probably any mind).
    First of all, you need to understand that you don't use this method with every "problem" you face. You are using this in an attempt to think and solve LESS not more because being in your head is both a modern human trait and a TMS trap. The circle method I use is to see the subtle ways that the mind will try and sway you into thought patterns.

My method is to imagine myself out in some kind of playing field. I'm standing there with nothing to do and no place to go. There is no agenda. No goal, no striving, no fixing or figuring it out - simply observing myself with curiosity.
    There is a huge circle drawn around me about 100 feet away from myself. I'm just hanging out in the center.
    Then I picture another me walking the circle. I walk a few feet and look at myself in the circle. That me in the circle doesn't move, there is no eye contact nothing. The me on the circle just observes. Then I walk another few feet and look at myself again.

The me in the circle is having thoughts about something I am absolutely certain of, or perhaps feeling confounded or confused by. You keep it light, with minimal thoughts about it. An example is "I never feel angry, I identify as being happy or even just existing". The me on the circle looks at the inner me and just observes, without judgement of the inner me ... sort of thinking "is that so". I might as the inner me a question: is that the only way to think?

EVERY single time I do this I observe something about my inner circle me that isn't true, and when I recognize it, I can easily identify what IS true, even if the only think I recognize that is true is that my mind is stuck seeing things only one way. This is a common TMS personality type called "Legalistic" or seeing things in black and white. We are absolutely convinced that what we are "seeing" - our perspective is our truth, and this legalistic type of thinking is pretty sneaky and obsideous. I am generally considered (and consider myself) very open minded and creative and often curious. However, that isn't always true.

I may THINK that I don't have stress (or emotion) towards a certain person or event - but I feel stuck because I'm still getting triggered over and over. I feel CERTAIN that I've journaled, and talked to myself about the issue and there is "nothing" there.... that is EXACTLY the moment I put myself in that circle. That certainty is always my key that my brain might be trying to keep me safe. Sneaky TMS thinking stuff. Sometimes nothing is below the surface and it's simply a good exercise - a good TMS tool to practice. But more often than not, I find myself not being open minded about the possibilities of what might be lurking. Best of all I've never had any anxiety or stress doing this exercise. It's kind of fun.

JanAtheCPA, tag24, BloodMoon and 2 others like this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

This is amazing, @Cactusflower! Did you invent it? I can’t wait to try it. Sounds great! Love how the process finds things. I can’t wait to say, “Is that so?” to myself. :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Bookmarked

Last edited: Jun 21, 2024
  3. HealingMe

HealingMe Well known member

"Is that so?" Love that!

BloodMoon likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Yes, this is something that just came to me. So many people said to "observe". Well, what the heck does that mean.
    To me it means to look at myself. So I did.

I think what you need to recognize is that the process finds the truth. Not just things. Sometimes it finds nothing, because there is nothing to find. You gotta accept that because often there is no problem, no unsolvable something, nothing to turn over and mull, to chew cud on and to hang on to (more often than not there is none of this) our brain just THINKS there is. It's a fantastic way to just "let shit go" (I think maybe that is a @JanAtheCPA -ism)

HealingMe, JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  5. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

That's a very intriguing technique. Do you ever find you don't like looking at yourself?

6. Cactusflower

Not judging myself at all, I just look and let it go.

Diana-M and Booble like this.
  7. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

It sounds like a great technique to see if something else is going on than what you expected.

I read a fiction book not that long ago where people on an airplane went into a time warp and when they landed they met themselves 3 months later.
    I was wondering what that would be like to meet myself and I didn't like it!

Diana-M likes this.