1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

cognitive dissonance

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by mbo, Nov 5, 2023.

1. mbo

mbo Well known member

I wonder what is the role (underrated?) of cognitive dissonance (you know: "me against me", a secret, inner, devastating civil war!) in the development of TMS pain. Is cognitive dissonance closely related to Sarno's concept of "divided mind"?
    [​IMG]

TG957 and Cactusflower like this.
  2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

I believe it manifests in many ways and is 100% Sarno’s ideas of the divided mind. I think it has a lot to do with the subconscious, and why that simple acceptance can halt a lot of the parts of our personality traits that don’t serve us:
    People pleasing is said to bring on unconscious rage
    Feeling forced to conform to self-imposed or self-important images or roles of perfection vs subconsciously wanting to do whatever we want (rage)

Bonnard likes this.
  3. Baseball65

Baseball65 Beloved Grand Eagle

Good call!!!. I would say The majority of the work I do to get rid of symptoms is rooting out Cognitive dissonance... Not necessarily doing anything about it , but seeing how full of crap my ego-aware-consciousness is in comparison with my actions and real world experience.
    We can always see it in others..when we can get a glimpse in ourselves it can be the wedge that lets in light for us to have a deeper understanding of what 'unconscious' might mean...remember to the brain, that is scary because IT isn't in charge!

I think when the divide gets too big, we get a symptom