1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Day 1 - Pickleball Addict @ the Cusp of Crumbling

Discussion in 'Structured Educational Program' started by YellowButton33, Sep 30, 2024.

1. YellowButton33

YellowButton33 Newcomer

I am not quite sure where to start. Part of this program is being open and honest. I am a Christian, and as I read the material and watched various videos, I could not help but think of how much this program aligns with my faith beliefs and biblical principles. So much more to say about this...it is truly a battle for the mind.

This program has positively convicted me and refreshed my vigor and hope. As a professor, it is important to me that information is verified and research-based, so I loved and appreciated Dr. Schubiner's work and the University of Michigan and his landmark study ().

I am a pickleball addict, but have not played in while, and depression takes hold some days. I put on a good face, but I am starting to crumble.

In 2010, I left the Air Force and was diagnosed with chronic back pain due to a car accident in 1998.

In 2015, I had what I could only explain as "traveling pains" and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia. I was a school principal at the time.

In 2022, I was diagnosed with PTSD by the VA (I am an Air Force veteran).

In 2023, I had a hip replacement almost a year ago, and pain has gotten worse.

It is now September 2024, and I have an appointment this Thursday to see another surgery. My other hip is now hurting. My back pain is worsening.

So, this has to stop. And I 100% know it will.

HealingMe, JanAtheCPA and invincible like this.
  2. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

@YellowButton33
    Welcome aboard! You are in the right place to, at last, make this nightmare end. A highly recommended book in this forum (which I have come to love!) is Hope and Help for Your Nerves, by Claire Weekes, MD. It does apply to TMS pain, because TMS is a form of anxiety (among other things). Dr. Weekes says, it doesn’t matter how long you have suffered from your nervous illness: you can heal. I’m taking her at her word.

I like your reference to your Christian faith. I will tell you a little story. I have suffered from TMS since I was a child. A whole lot of suffering. In 2017, I was having yet another bout. This time, my hands were tingling and numb. I was very nervous and afraid about it. I finally knelt by my bed and prayed. All I said was “God, please help me! What is happening?” A few hours later my sister called and said her Dr. just recommended she read a book called The Divided Mind, by John Sarno. I immediately got a copy of the book and read it. Every word applied to me. I was able to make my symptoms go away. And that’s how I learned about TMS. It’s also why I believe that somehow, someway I will heal from this latest round of symptoms that crept up during the stressors of the pandemic.

The people I have met in this forum have become priceless friends to me. I count myself so blessed for being here. I’m sure you will too!

3. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

@YellowButton33
    You have been through the ringer! My heart goes out to you, and I want to thank-you for your service.
    It might comfort you to know that there is a TMS coach who posts youtube videos from a Christian perspective. She often has some wonderful conversations with her friend, and I think their insights are so valuable, even for people who's faith isn't the same as theirs.

https://www.youtube.com/@ThoughtByThoughtHealing

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  4. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

5. invincible

invincible Peer Supporter

you can do thissss!!

HealingMe and Cactusflower like this.