1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Our TMS drop-in chat is tomorrow (Saturday) from 3:00 PM - 4:00 PM Eastern (US Daylight Time). It's a great way to get quick and interactive peer support, with BruceMC as your host. Look for the red Chat flag on top of the menu bar!

Eye Pressure

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Hiawatha922, Jun 26, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Hiawatha922

Hiawatha922 Peer Supporter

A few months ago, my opthalmologist indicated I had high eye pressure (intraocular pressure). I scheduled a follow up appointment several weeks later and the eye pressure was lower but still high.

Next, I scheduled a consultation with a second opthalmologist. This time, eye pressure in one of my eyes was lower (no longer considered high) but the pressure in the other eye had actually increased. This consultation occurred, however, one day after getting a cortisone shot for shoulder pain. I've heard steroids can affect eye pressure (but would it affect only one eye?)

The opthalmologist who did the consulation scheduled another appointment two months out (end of August). He said if the pressure is still high, I should start taking eye drops to avoid glaucoma.

This definitely has me a bit worried. However, I don't know how I could refuse medication (drops) when the consequences could be so serious.

Could all of this be related to TMS? I think so, but I'm not sure about my next steps. I recently wrote a post about interpersonal conflicts. Like I said, I think TMS is part of my overall experience but I don't know what to do about this eye issue.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2023
  2. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

I wouldn't start to be concerned until you know the results of your August appointment. I've been monitored for glaucoma for about 5 years now, but haven't had to use drops yet. I see the opthalmologist annually. I have a friend who uses the drops and says it's no problem.

3. Hiawatha922

Thank you, Ellen! I definitely have more floaters at this time of year and some pressure in my left temple. This has gone on for years. I've associated it with allergies or stress in the past, but it usually subsides (at least for the most part). I hope the eye pressure subsides too.

4. Hiawatha922