1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How can explain disc herniation of animals?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Simmon, Dec 10, 2023.

1. Simmon

Simmon Newcomer

I know it is kinda weird and unique question... HOW can we explain Disc herniation of animal like dog and cat. Dr. Sarno said most of disc herniation does not cause back pain. But animals get surgery and recover. Is it just different from human being?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Do the animals really need surgery to recover, or might they recover in a few moths without it?
    Our cat fell and broke her back. She did not have surgery but did have a deformed back. She was fine.

Dorado likes this.
  3. mbo

mbo Well known member

How we know animals (dogs, cats,...) are suffering pain?
    Weird, difficult movility not necessarily means pain, I presume.
    When a dog or cat is injured starts to scream !
    Interesting issue.
    M

Dorado likes this.
  4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

My cat did not scream in pain, she walked gingerly with a jump in her back and could not jump for a few days.

Dorado likes this.
  5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

I have to say that I've had a number of elderly dogs and cats in my lifetime, and not once has a vet suggested x-rays, never mind surgery, for simple mobility issues brought on by aging. Might I suggest that this could be a case of a few veterinarians doing what medical doctors do to people, which is to recommend unnecessary surgery?

In other words, my answer is that no, I don't think it's actually different, because we know that animals experience trauma and anxiety, which is at the heart of TMS after all.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
    Dorado likes this.
  6. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Two cats ago, I adopted an older cat with arthritis and a tumor on his liver, who received Gabapentin for "pain and anxiety" which quite frankly I think was more for the anxiety, which he clearly did have. The thing is, we know that long-term constant stress leads to inflammation and that long term inflammation can damage our physiologies in a number of ways. Or the physiologies of our animal companions. This cat was already 13 years old when he was rescued from the streets, so who knows what kind of trauma he had endured. Proper care and a nice foster home made all the difference in the world, and in spite of the inoperable tumor on his liver, he outlasted his prognosis by almost 2 years (and was actually the best cat ever.)