1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How can TMS be integrated into the educational system?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by invincible, Sep 5, 2024.

1. invincible

invincible Peer Supporter

Hi,
    I'm looking for help, resources and contacts in relation to the title of this thread.

I have spent one year in rural India teaching a life skill education program through the sport of ultimate frisbee.
    The end goal of the program revolved around gender equality and learning emotional control and awareness.

Since I intend to continue working in the field of education, I was curious as to how TMS concepts and the knowledge of the intimate connection between mind and body could be taught to youth in school systems, or in independent settings.
    I am interested in exploring how this could be taught through mediums like sports, theatre, music.
    (I'm also open to any other mediums in the creative arts space, or any space honestly)

I'm also doubtful about the concept as a whole. Is this something that makes sense? Would it work?
    Will flesh this out because I think there is something here for sure.
    Am reaching out because I am certain someone would have thought of this before, or some kind of TMS educational program for youth surely must exist? Even more so in today's world with the effects of technology and social media. Especially with regards to social media, to me it's a boiling pot for TMS symptoms, having observed how it's affected me personally.

Any help, leads or suggestions would be very helpful.

Much thanks!

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  2. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

LOL, @invincible, you don't ask small questions, do you? :D

And yet... the concept of "mind over matter", of controlling fear and negativity in order to exceed self-imposed limits, is one of those things that motivates many, if not most, of the greatest athletes. That may be the connection that introduces the idea that we are what we think. Or, rather, that we can BE what we think, no limits.

On a somewhat related note, Nicole Sachs developed a relationship with NBA star Michael Porter Jr when he found her work last year, and she interviewed him this spring for her podcast which I describe here: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/threads/nba-player-interviewed-by-nicole-sachs.28225/ (Nicole Sachs, LCSW - NBA player interviewed by Nicole Sachs!)

BruceMC and invincible like this.
  3. invincible

ahahahaha, yea I've seen mention of this video earlier. Pretty cool! @JanAtheCPA

4. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

You should look at the work of Lorimer Mosley. He is pioneering these kinds of educational opportunities but from a more scientific perspective as a way of opening the conversation.
    This past summer, one of his teams from around the world volunteered to spread the word to rural communities by riding bikes through the Outback, and teaching methods towards recovery. This included at least one member educated by Dr. Schubiner and Alan Gordon.
    Of course it can work. I was taught by a social science teacher to meditate and visualize. He taught us many other valuable life skills, none of which were curriculum but all things valuable in life and easy to pass along to others.

invincible likes this.
  5. invincible

@Cactusflower amazing! Thank you for this, will check him out.

I guess what I was worried about was not so much whether it would work, but how to do it right scientifically.
    Also if there may be such a thing as a child being too young to learn these concepts.

6. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

Great idea you have, there, @invincible! Be a front runner! I totally agree about social media. It really did a number on me. Totally contributed to my TMS.