1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

How do I get rid of my walker?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by Diana-M, Apr 4, 2024.

?

Should I throw away my walker?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Wait (please explain why)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Diana-M

Diana-M Well known member

I know that my walker is only reinforcing that “something’s wrong.” Just a few months ago I was using a cane. Before that I walked along the walls. All of this, as my symptoms of weakness, tingling and being off balance took over due to my fear.

Agorafobia has definitely set in now, too. Now I want to just get outside at any cost.

So here’s the question for you: if I walk outside with my walker will it help me or hurt me? I can’t just get rid of it yet. I don’t have good balance.

Has anyone transitioned out of a wheelchair or walker (or cane) as they were healing? Did you force it or did it happen naturally?

2. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

Find a way to meet your current goal. If walking outside will help you gain some internal confidence, just do it. There is 0 pressure to do anything any specific way. Experiment, try things.
    My biggest TMS hold back was being told to do things a specific way and to follow “rules”. That was a total killer right there. It fed into all my tms personality triggers. Learning to do this work with a curiosity and experimental approach gave me confidence and helped me take back power and control. Facing your fears in any way you can begin to do so while cultivating feelings of safety is a win! Just thinking about and desiring it is a big gain!

Booble, JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  3. Diana-M

Thank you, @Cactusflower! I will follow my heart. I’m going to take the walks outside as a start.

JanAtheCPA likes this.
  4. bobbyPT

bobbyPT New Member

I would say don't force getting rid of it. I have patients continue to use braces, walkers, etc since it may be too scary for them to get rid of it. Can gradually wean off of them as desired. Also just getting outside is good for our physical and mental health especially with getting more sunlight so that is a plus.

JanAtheCPA and Diana-M like this.
  5. Diana-M

Thanks so much for this answer! I was just afraid maybe I doomed myself by going to a walker. I wanted to picture that people really do get rid of them. The times my body has relaxed, I felt my gait completely change. So I know that my old self is in there somewhere!

6. bobbyPT

bobbyPT New Member

Sure! No not at all people use a lot of assistive devices but people also do not want to use them bc they believe other people do not. Also I get it I have patients who do not want to "feel old" by using one and that may just be another level of grief there to work on. Yes gait is something automatic and I have been there too when I have had foot pain I change how I walk and then I have to almost relearn how to do it again!

Diana-M likes this.
  7. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

Enjoy the walk!
    Walker, cane, nothing, whatever. It doesn't matter.
    Focus on enjoying the walk. Feel the breeze. Listen for birds. Whatever you enjoy.

Diana-M likes this.
  8. Diana-M

Yes, there really is grief involved. It’s hard to feel you are going downhill. I always thought I’d be very active my whole life. I have always been athletic. Now, at 64, I suddenly feel tempted to feel old. But inside, I feel young still. I’m determined to get my full self back.

bobbyPT likes this.
  9. Booble

I can relate. I'm just a few years younger.
    I think I felt the shift after my parents died. They both died in succession after long illness and difficult times and suddenly I unconsciously but consciously moved up into position of the next generation to die.
    I, too, feel like the same young person inside but now I feel like I question that and fear steps in.

10. Diana-M

I think Dr. Sarno said aging is enough to cause TMS. And I believe it!

Booble likes this.
  11. Booble

Ain't that the truth!
    We're so woefully unprepared for it.

Diana-M likes this.
  12. Dorado

Dorado Beloved Grand Eagle

I agree this is an option.

OP, you can absolutely put it away / store it in a place you won't see it and not get rid of it entirely.

Diana-M likes this.