1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

how to not be bothered?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by KEANU4141, Jan 5, 2024.

1. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

For somatic tracking like just noticing the symptoms as sensations and knowing its all caused by ur brain and dethatching emotion from it how can I do that when im like playing video games and my wrists and hands are hurting or im working out and have multiple differing pains ect

2. miffybunny

miffybunny Beloved Grand Eagle

Shift focus to the game or the workout. I think somatic tracking can make people with obsessive tendencies, even more obsessive, because once again you are staring at the body. Unless you stop in the middle of whatever you are doing to somatic track, not sure how you would do both things at the same time. I honestly think you over complicating things in your own mind. The sensations are harmless. Remind yourself of that fact and go back to whatever you were doing. The term "somatic tracking" didn't even exist before I got better. It just means mindfulness. Observing the symptoms in a detached, curious way. My advice is stop observing, and start living.

Ellen and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

I kind of understand what ur saying but its hard to just live life if you know where im coming from, and I kind of worded the last wuestion wrong I mean like how do I not get frustrated/annoyed when its ending my sets earlier, making it harder to play a game do other stuff, ect. I dont fear it just annoyed by it more just a bit

4. miffybunny

Frustration is a form of resistance. Patience and persistence is key. The belief you need to have is that there's nothing wrong with you and you are re educating your brain that you are ok and there's no danger. The brain takes a few weeks to reverse any habit so the more patient you are, the less concerned you are with symptoms and timelines you are, the faster this process will go and your brain will get the message. Over time symptoms dissipate as a happy consequence of losing fear and focus.

5. JanAtheCPA

JanAtheCPA Beloved Grand Eagle

Same here, and agree 100%.

When I experience pain working out I trust in my judgement and reassure my fearful brain that the pain is unnecessary.

miffybunny likes this.
  6. KEANU4141

KEANU4141 New Member

And "start living" is easier said than done like ive been trying to do a bit more and trying not to let it control me but im still off from school right now and like do I have to go back because its just really hard with the pelvic pain that makes going to the bathroom really uncomftorable ( especially school bathrooms) and even more all the other muscle pain, nerve pain. rapid heart rate, ect and having to get up really early so like what can i do to "start living" and making my body feel safe and is it okay that im not going to school to take some preasure off and reduce anxiety because and now im kinda getting some anxiety about " do I have to go to school to get better ( or speed it up) ?"

7. miffybunny

This is a process and you just do you best...slow and gradual (graded exposure) usually works best. The goal is to engage in life as much as you can while tolerating some fear, but in the calm knowing that sensations are harmless and this situation is temporary. There's a balance between trying too hard (doing things before you are ready) and total avoidance. You will have to figure out what feels best and manageable. Maybe reduce your course load or take some time off to get some therapy or coaching. Understanding why this started in the first place is important (addressing your emotions and inner conflicts), as well as reversing the habit by losing doubts and changing your thought habits.