1. Alan has completed the new Pain Recovery Program. To read or share it, use this updated link: https://www.tmswiki.org/forum/painrecovery/
    Dismiss Notice

Importance of working with a TMS therapist?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Subforum' started by daisychain, Aug 3, 2024.

1. daisychain

daisychain New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm fairly new to TMS and learning all I can about it as I find it absolutely fascinating and mind-blowing! I've started doing some work myself but wondering if it's important to try and find a TMS therapist to work with? I feel I would benefit from support and guidance but I live in Australia where it's difficult to find anyone trained in TMS (although I'm willing to look into working with someone virtually).

If anyone has worked with a therapist I'd love to know your thoughts, was it worthwhile and do you feel it helped?

2. Andy Bayliss

Andy Bayliss TMS Coach & Beloved Grand Eagle

Hi daisychain,

(I can say that as a Coach (not a therapist) many have benefitted by using my help ---and TMS therapists' help, and many many go it alone.)

It is hard to find insurance coverage for TMS therapists, and so this limits access many places. I wanted to pass along one thing you can do working with a therapist who is not trained in a TMS approach, if you have access. After each session and in between sessions, connect what you're learning about yourself with the basic theory and practice of TMS self-diagnosis and care. Even without a special training, many therapists will help reveal to you aspects of your personality and history, and the way you deal with life situations in the moment which you can connect and "see yourself" in the TMS work.

Shopping for a non TMS therapist, you might try to find those who are more "psychodynamically /emotionally" oriented, rather than cognitive therapists. One study showed more of a benefit with emotional release than with cognitive approach for TMS treatment/ improvement. A therapist who will help you take a hard, honest look at yourself, and feel what "does not want to be felt."

I did not address your question, but wanted to make these suggestions. Others might disagree, or have, I hope, good reports about using TMS therapist, or using other therapists.

Good luck in your journey. Support in my opinion can really be beneficial, if you can find it and afford it.

Andy

daisychain and JanAtheCPA like this.
  3. Ellen

Ellen Beloved Grand Eagle

daisychain likes this.
  4. Booble

Booble Beloved Grand Eagle

If you feel like you want to work one on one with someone that might be a good idea.
    For me, my therapist is my piece of paper and my pen.
    With guidance from reading Sarno and this forum.

My concern with therapy is that it's unlikely you are going to be able to dig deep into the real hidden stuff (which often isn't really super traumatic) in front of another person. On the other hand, if a therapist can advise you like we do on this forum on what to do on your own that would be great.

EDITING to say, not that you won't be able to dig into the important stuff, but that you won't be able to RAGE about the important stuff. It's easy to talk about. But to act like a screaming maniac having a 2-year old tantrum, I don't think most will do that in front of a therapist. Especially "perfectionists" like us.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2024
    daisychain likes this.
  5. Duggit

Duggit Well known member

Since you are in Australia, you should check out the Pain Revolution website at https://www.painrevolution.org/

Lorimer Moseley runs the Pain Revolution movement. He is a clinical neuroscientist at the University of South Australia and is one of the leading pain science researchers in the world. If I recall correctly, he only sees patients a half a day a week, but he is familiar with other Australian healthcare providers who treat chronic pain--what Dr. Sarno called TMS--in accordance with modern pain science. After reviewing the Pain Revolution website, if you are interested in that, Moseley or a staffer of his might be able to recommend someone near where you live.

daisychain likes this.
  6. Cactusflower

Cactusflower Beloved Grand Eagle

7. daisychain

daisychain New Member

8. daisychain

daisychain New Member

9. daisychain

daisychain New Member

This is such a great reply, thank you! I agree to an extent, I am ok with crying and having a mini breakdown in front of a therapist (haha) but less comfortable with anger so this is a great point. I think I mainly want personal guidance and support for doing TMS work so I may look into a therapist for this. Did you find the journalling was a key part of recovery for you? I have done it a few times and I had so much rage I destroyed a pen and part of the notebook! The intensity of emotion scares me but I know this is the problem!

Booble likes this.
  10. daisychain

daisychain New Member

I just discovered him! Pretty cool... Yes I will look at the website and see if they can recommend someone. Thanks!

11. daisychain

daisychain New Member

Thank you so much for your reply and sorry for the delayed response. I do work with a health psychologist but she isn't trained in TMS processes. Insurance isn't a factor as I live in Australia, I'm able to pay privately for sessions.
    I'm looking into several options of practitioners trained in pain reprocessing therapy - do you think a somatic therapist would be beneficial? I feel like I just want some support and personalized guidance in doing this, although there's lots I can do on my own. I was also considering EMDR as my experience with the medical system has been traumatic. Do you know much about this? Do you think it would be helpful? Thank you again.